Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Variance is Fractal

[ QUOTE ]
Chart your poker stats for a few hundred sessions and tell me how fractals appear in charts of something that isn't chaotic and non linear?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Chaotic != fractal
Fractals are non-linear but not everything non-linear is fractal

It's a common mistake.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chaotic != fractal
Fractals are non-linear but not everything non-linear is fractal

It's a common mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

The existence of "fractal waves" in charted poker sessions of any scale are proof of a "chaotic, non linear fractal system at work. This can't be argued.

So I ask then, where do these fractal waves in charted poker sessions come from if they are no part "variance"?

What part of "poker" is fractal if variance is not?

For fractal waves to be observed in charted poker sessions on any time scale (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly) some part(s) MUST be fractal...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 PM

Variance vs. hands has no more (and in fact significantly fewer) "fractal" properties than a simple horizontal line. Make a coherent argument (lol, I know) that the "fractal" nature of variance exceeds the fractal nature of a straight line. Hell, for that matter, EXPLAIN what fractal properties variance vs. hands even has, and saying "it's fractal", which appears to be all you can do, isn't an explanation of what fractal properties it has.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The existence of "fractal waves" in charted poker sessions of any scale are proof of a "chaotic, non linear fractal system at work. This can't be argued with me

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-28-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EXPLAIN what fractal properties variance vs. hands even has, and saying "it's fractal", which appears to be all you can do, isn't an explanation of what fractal properties it has.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Variance" has many fractal properties such as: repetition of patterns on all scales, infinite detail and complexity, self similarity, recursion...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Well, you tried at least. It certainly does not repeat patterns on all scales, since there exist patterns for N hands that CANNOT be duplicated for N/2 hands. It certainly doesn't have infinite detail since it's made up of discrete points- there is no detail beyond the hand/action level. It's only weakly statistically self-similar, as I described earlier, and it's only recursive in the most trivial sum-of-random-sequence way. A straight line is better at all of these properties.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It certainly does not repeat patterns on all scales, since there exist patterns for N hands that CANNOT be duplicated for N/2 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct assuming "hands" are played correct defined by "the fundamental therom of poker". Of course this is not how we play poker so discussing variance based on "cards" and their distribution is useless. I obviously didn't clarify my ideas into a comprehensible post, which I apologize. Definatly am not the best at getting my ideas out in writing as they are often abstract and non-logical.

I'll try and clarify my points.

Variance is made up of at least 2 main parts. One real (hands/cards) and the other imaginary (our individual "play").

The "variance" you are referring to Tom would represent "real part" of "i" (hands) which could be an integer, fraction, decimal, positive or negative number. Examples are 6, -5, 10.5, 3/4 and so on.

The part of variance I'm talking about is of the "imaginary side" of "i" (-1). Could this not represent our "play" If we let i stand for the square root of -1, ie., i=square root (-1), then any number like 3i, -5i, 1.77i, i/5 is an imaginary number. This being the "chaotic", self similar, recursive and non linear nature of "the game". This area of the game is also infinitively complex and full of detail (infinite and complex styles).

If variance can be expressed as "i", the "real part" would be represented as ("hands") while the "imaginary part" our play. Maybe this imaginary side is what people refer to as "luck" in variance. Luck would then be math as many pros refer to it as...

If true, I have no idea as to how this information could be used to better ones play, other then the awareness of how importance "our play" of the cards is, rather then the cards themselves.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The existence of "fractal waves" in charted poker sessions of any scale are proof of a "chaotic, non linear fractal system at work. This can't be argued with me

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't have used " cant be argued argued", rather cant be "disproved". I prefer to understand both sides of any "truth", not argue for one or the other. Thanks for bringing that to my attention as I did need to "check myself" on that one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In the middle of "2 opposing truths" is the real truth, or the closest thing to it, so long as we are speaking in quantifiable "S&M terms".

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Of course there is also the "paranormal and metaphysical "truths" " but to a high degree, these tend to corroborate and agree with each other, not oppose like so many Corp. and Gov. funded "orthodoxly studies" of more modern years. So, these truths, do not exist which cuts off the possible read when it comes to incomplete information in any situation or experience and process therein.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM

Paging Tom Cowly, Tom please come to thread "VIF".