Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 PM

Default 50NL: This laydown is bothering me

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $49.85
Hero (BB): $44.15
UTG: $50.95
MP: $20.75
CO: $21.75
BTN: $49.25

Preflop: Hero is dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($1.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $1.00</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $1.00

Turn: ($3.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, UTG calls $2.00

River: ($8.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5.50</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $45.50</font>, Hero folds

This laydown has been bothering me a little. I want to hear what you guys think.
This is what happened:
There's two limpers, I check from BB with 32s and flop bottom pair with a flush draw. UTG bets, I call, the two others fold. I make the flush on the turn, I check raise UTG after he min bets, he calls. The river makes no difference to my hand, I bet 2/3 of the pot, UTG instantly shoves all-in, which is a big suprise.
I havent seen too many hands played by UTG, but he seems fairly loose and is agressive when he flops a top pair or better. I've also seen him make several very loose calls in heads up pots with 3rd pair/2nd pair/toppair-weak kicker.
I thought for a long time before I made my decision. I find it very unlikely that he is bluffing here. He hasnt seen me do any crazy moves, so its very unlikely that he is trying some kind of re-steal. Im 90% sure he is either overplaying two pair, trips or a straight, or he is pushing with a better flush than mine.
I eventually decided to fold. From the betting pattern its so obvious to him that I have a flush. He must know that I have a flush, right? Whats throwing me off here is his betting pattern. It doesnt really fit with anything. If he had a flush, why would he just min-bet when he made it and then just call my raise, before pushing on the river? He might push the river with a straight since I've seen him overplay hands before, but if he had J9 I dont really understand his flop bet. He has no draw on the flop, and bluffing 3 opponents is hard. Maybe he just called on the turn with a flush, hoping I'd catch up some more on the river?

Im totaly lost here. I decided to not go broke in an unraised pot, especially when my hand is so obvious to my opponent, and its the lowest possible flush. Most players at 50NL are pretty bad though, so folding a flush on an unpaired board like this is a very tight play.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: 50NL: This laydown is bothering me

Reload preflop.

Just lead the flop and turn. I really hate your flop/turn line.

As for the river, eh, probably a good fold. Close.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reload preflop.

Just lead the flop and turn. I really hate your flop/turn line.

As for the river, eh, probably a good fold. Close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 PM

I lead flop for 1.75. If I get raised, depending on my mood, I might push. As played, I think you should have raised flop.

CR bigger on turn. Like... pot, so 4.75.

I'm also calling river.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 PM

I agree that my turn raise was too small. I regretted it as soon as I pressed the button.
Im not sure I agree about semi-bluffing the flop though. With 3 opponents the chance of winning uncontested is close to zero at NL50, and since Im 2nd to act it probably wont give me a free card either. If I know Im gonna get called, then I need at least 2 callers for it to be profitable if I know my flush will be good.
Thats why I checked. Is there's something I overlooked? Disguising my hand maybe? Probable 14 outer if called?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 PM

your flop bet folds out hands that might take the lead on turn it doesn't matter if not everyone folds. on this board you should have good fold equity...only a ten calls here as a 3 or 4 are unlikely. pretend you got the big blind special!

if you're going to craise the turn check raise much bigger than that...too weak.

as played the river is a fold. in my exp, this is a fish move to extract value especially after you've shown strength.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 AM

I missplayed the flop and saved 75 big blinds then...

Hero bets 1.75
UTG raises to 5
Hero calls
Turn
Hero checks
UTG bets 5
Hero raises to 15
UTG insta shoves
Hero calls
Hero sees the bad news
Hero thinks "ffs, cold deck"
Old 08-10-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that my turn raise was too small. I regretted it as soon as I pressed the button.
Im not sure I agree about semi-bluffing the flop though. With 3 opponents the chance of winning uncontested is close to zero at NL50, and since Im 2nd to act it probably wont give me a free card either. If I know Im gonna get called, then I need at least 2 callers for it to be profitable if I know my flush will be good.
Thats why I checked. Is there's something I overlooked? Disguising my hand maybe? Probable 14 outer if called?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you're kinda thinking about this the wrong way. Basically, with a pair and a FD, you have a ton of equity vs. basically anything villain could have. So even though it doesn't look like you have that much of a hand now, you should still be trying to get as much money as possible in on the flop. Once you get to the turn, if it bricks, your equity against most decent hands lowers significantly.