Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Following through on a draw

OK I have a question....
Say you're on a draw after the flop and you calculate that you have a decent chance of catching because you still have 2 cards to see. The turn card brings no help and you've already paid to see it. Do you stick with your original pot odds before the turn card? Or do you adjust it now because there's only one card left? In other words lets say your odds of catching with 2 cards was about 7 to 1 and with one card, 10 to 1. Would you still call a bet after the turn that was only giving you 7 to 1 pot odds just to stick with your original plan? Or would you demand 10 to 1 at the river?

This is of course assuming you're not a donkey and actually figure in pot odds to your calling decisions.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Following through on a draw

You are going to have to give more details like cash, tourney, Limit, NL, buy-in (i.e. how good are your opponents), etc.

No offense, but this post my do better in the Beginners Forum or Micro Stakes NL forum.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are going to have to give more details like cash, tourney, Limit, NL, buy-in (i.e. how good are your opponents), etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, for this question it doesn't matter. The answer is that, yes, you do have to recalculate your odds. You have new information and it changes the probabilities. And it DOES frequently happen in hold'em that a player has the right odds to call on the flop but then must fold on the turn.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I have a question....
Say you're on a draw after the flop and you calculate that you have a decent chance of catching because you still have 2 cards to see. The turn card brings no help and you've already paid to see it. Do you stick with your original pot odds before the turn card? Or do you adjust it now because there's only one card left? In other words lets say your odds of catching with 2 cards was about 7 to 1 and with one card, 10 to 1. Would you still call a bet after the turn that was only giving you 7 to 1 pot odds just to stick with your original plan? Or would you demand 10 to 1 at the river?

This is of course assuming you're not a donkey and actually figure in pot odds to your calling decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't stick with your original pot odds, but I think there's a problem with figuring your odds with 2 to come. When calculating your odds with 2 to come, you have to figure out how much BOTH cards are going to cost you, not just the turn card.

Alternatively, just calculate your one card odds before the turn, and then your one card odds before the river.

jb
Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK I have a question....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't stick with your original pot odds, but I think there's a problem with figuring your odds with 2 to come. When calculating your odds with 2 to come, you have to figure out how much BOTH cards are going to cost you, not just the turn card.

Alternatively, just calculate your one card odds before the turn, and then your one card odds before the river.

jb

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, pricing the flop call as if you are getting two cards is a mistake. I hope you can see why.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Yes.... Very good points Jamz and Hoi... This may be one of my problems in holdem - being that I figure in the pot odds for 2 cards to come while only factoring in the price of the next card. I'm glad I asked and I appreciate the response... I'll be adjusting my play accordingly. Cheers!