Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 PM

Default PLO novice, trouble with possibly routine scenario

Hey all,

I'm trying to make the transition from NLHE to PLO and take the game more seriously. This is a problem I have run into a few times over the past few thousand hands, and I wanted opinions on my lines on the flop, turn, and river. Unfortunately I have no reads on the opponent since I don't own PT Omaha, nor have I been playing with him for long. However he seems relatively solid in the short time I have been sitting, and hasn't really gotten out of line.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">UTG raises to $6</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]($25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $18</font>, BB calls, 2 folds.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($61, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $32</font>

I bet figuring I would get called by two-pair or worse sets, but like I said I am new to Omaha and am not yet familiar with the frequency that people will check-call those hands given the preflop and flop actions.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: PLO novice, trouble with possibly routine scenario

Sometimes I bet the flop. Don't mind a check here.

Turn - fine/standard.

River - I don't mind the halfpot. Villain clearly doesn't have JJ or KK. You will certainly get a call from 44 and sometimes KJ.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:41 PM

I like this line
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 PM

I bet the flop every time, once you've checked the flop the other streets are standard. You will get looked up by 2 pair a lot and you are pretty much never losing.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:17 PM

I think i bet the flop here, and fold to a c/r. as played, turn and river action are fine. Villian looks like he has a weak hand so he probably wont call if you pot river.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 AM

I don't see a reason to not bet the flop here. If you do not define your hand here you give a free card to straight draws, KJ and higher pairs.
It also puts you in an awkward situation if after your check the SB or BB bet the pot. Did they intend to check-raise with middle or top set? You are in even more of a quandry if a straight card hits.

Regarding the river I can't see villain call the turn with any hand containing 22. If he made a set of 4s on the turn, why didn't he lead out after no one showed any strength on the flop? Therefore I think his mostly likely hands that villain might be willing to call with are two pair hands. Some of them weak enough that a half-pot will scare them away. Maybe it's more profitable to make a smaller bet that will induce more crying calls.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:54 PM

I see myself potting this most of the time and checking behind if the players are tricky. I really like your 1/2 pot value bet on river, any 2 pair is calling that.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM

Looks like you played this well. Anyone with JJ or KK raises the flop or the turn. River bet is a nice value bet that should get called a fair amount.

You could have potted the flop and potted the turn, but I think you played this fine.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:48 PM

Bet the flop. As played, there is no reason not to pot the turn. Bet more (at least 2/3 pot) on the river unless the villain is very timid.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:08 PM

Checking the flop gives someone with AQ Q10 A10 Q10 a free card to hit their straight. Against 3 players, this is a definate raise 100% of the time onthe flop. You have to protect your good hands in plo. Variance against 3 players is too high to try and play the hand slow. Raise it up and reevaluate if C/R or called.