Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Backwards or forwards?

You guys need to learn to read. Between 75 and 3000 years. If 30 years was an option, getting stinking rich in the recent past seems good, but going back to 1932 and being dead by the time the internet is in full swing won't even allow me to post in this thread: lame.

I would go the full 3000 into the future. Probably be a minor celeb or the only human. Worth the risk.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Backwards thirty years. Make a fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's the case, you can simply go back a few years and pump all your money into Google/Amazon/et al.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think there'd be many other oppurtunities to make a fortune as well. and i'd want to go somewhere more exciting than the 70's.

Nintendo Wii has a free piece of software you can download called Everybody Votes, and every 2 days a question is posed, and you have to answer it, and also predict what you think the majority of people will answer.

The other day it was?

If you had a time machine where would you go?
To the Future
To the Past

Future won 57.9% to 42.1%
You can break down the stats even more by region and such.

Venezuela had the largest proportion of people who chose future, whereas Panama, followed by Greece, had the largest for past, but it still looks about 52-48 on that one.

59.3% of males chose future
54.5% of females chose future

72.0% of people correctly predicted that the masses would choose future.

Just an interesting aside. I wish it told you how many people voted.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Well, if the only people you ask is Nintendo Wii owners, the sample is probably pretty biased for people relatively up to date on the technology, so I'll venture a guess and say you'd most likely have a strong future bias.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 AM

Can I come back? Can I take my children with me?

The future is probably going to suck and the past mostly did suck. Some choice!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I imagined it there was no coming back, and no bringing anyone along, though maybe I should have written that.

My purpose with the question was to 'force' people into choosing between history and a complete unknown based on where we think/guess humanity are headed. That's also why I chose the minimum 75 years limit, to get away from any 'comfort zone'. That people take a choice because they think it is going to 'suck less' or because they it is going to be great isn't really a concern.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 AM

But it was very interesting that so many optioned to go forward while still stating they knew it was the 'uncertain choice'. Though maybe a sample gathered on an internet poker forum has some bias on gambling and technology? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I imagined it there was no coming back, and no bringing anyone along, though maybe I should have written that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way I would take the option. I can't imagine many with children would.

[ QUOTE ]
My purpose with the question was to 'force' people into choosing between history and a complete unknown based on where we think/guess humanity are headed. That's also why I chose the minimum 75 years limit, to get away from any 'comfort zone'. That people take a choice because they think it is going to 'suck less' or because they it is going to be great isn't really a concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it should be. Both are going to suck, for various reasons. You just wouldn't *fit*. Given the greater mobility we have today, and will likely have in the future, the future will probably be better.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Well, I don't find compromising middleground answers very interesting in questions like these - because everybody would choose those. Its the same when you conduct survey research, you have to avoid the 'one size fits all' answers if you want to find anything interesting.

Therefore the scenario is either 75-3000 years forward or backwards, with no 'middleground' scenario which would skewer the answers to be completely uninteresting.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't find compromising middleground answers very interesting in questions like these - because everybody would choose those. Its the same when you conduct survey research, you have to avoid the 'one size fits all' answers if you want to find anything interesting.

Therefore the scenario is either 75-3000 years forward or backwards, with no 'middleground' scenario which would skewer the answers to be completely uninteresting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose 4AM this morning - I have the lottery numbers. What's uninteresting about that? Hey?

Hey?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose 4AM this morning - I have the lottery numbers. What's uninteresting about that? Hey?

Hey?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want today's lottery numbers:
1. No I'm a multi-billionaire, using time on the lottery would lose me monies.
2. Yes.
3. Hell yes.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]