Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Tribute to Intellivision

My Dad had one of these when I was very young. Legend has it that I learned to read for the sole purpose of being able to figure out Intellivision instruction manuals.

You didn't mention one of the most crappily unique games of all time, the classic rock career simulator, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i used to be friends with this guy just so i could play utopia on his intellivision. for years.

[/ QUOTE ]
td,

This may sound ghey to this forum, but most games we had a "mutual non-agression" pact where we would just try to build our island better than the other guy. I.e. we wouldn't give each other rebels. To me, rebels are bad juju. If they happened on their own that was one thing, but it sucked to have a piece of premium property get replaced by a rebel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved this game and also had the "mutual non-aggression" rules in place. No PT boats to kill fishing boats and no rebels. There was enough shiet to deal with as it was(pirates, lightning, etc). I don't think I've ever played a game I enjoyed as much as this one in a long time.

DN
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at your link for Triple Action, it's funny how much time they spent focusing on the biplane piece. But it's true, that was easily the best of the three. Nice pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the stuff they said about biplane cracked me up. That was one of the very first video games I ever played.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't find Pandemonium on the site I used, so not sure you're right about the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I scanned through the site you linked to and found it:

Demon Attack

Don't know where the hell I pulled pandemonium from [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] probably some brilliant marketing on the cover. There was a crazy ass mothership at the end that took up like 1/3 of the screen. Scary stuff.

It's funny how my memory of these games has been warped over time, I haven't seen screenshots of this stuff in ages and had forgotten just how primitive the graphics were. No eye-candy here people, just solid gaming goodness [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-29-2006, 09:13 AM

Intellivision was excellent.

Atari 5200 < Atari 2600 < ColecoVision < Intellivision < NES < Genesis
Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 AM

That dealer had a lot of tells.

Also: 9-6-2-7
Old 06-29-2006, 10:04 AM

My parents only bought my brother and I one game system during our entire childhood, and this was it. I used to have to beg, borrow and steal to use other kid's 'real' systems. But that doesn't mean I wasn't a whiz at Burgertime and 'Advanced' Dungeons and Dragons.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM

Great link! I loved Night Stalker and Burger Time but my all-time favorite Intellivision game was Beamrider...

Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM

Bump 'N Jump = awesome.
Night Stalker = sweet game.
Burgertime = classic. I need to break it out when I get home.

Poker & Blackjack = I guess I have this to blame for being here. The fact that I knew basic blackjack strategy before going to kindergarten is thanks to this game.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Uston - yessssssssssss, Beamrider ruled, not sure how I missed that one. Probably one of my top three.

octopi - due to the crash and subsequent drama, I don't think Intellivision was selling many new consoles after ~1985. Besides, I think NES came out about that time. Pretty unusual of your parents to stick you with something largely out of circulation.

DN - now that I think about it we probably didn't do PT boats either. It seemed kind of pointless, chasing the fishing boat around when you could be doing something productive, like fishing or planting crops just ahead of a cloud. Also, you forgot about the hurricanes! Those were badass, particularly when they slowly ripped through the opponent's infrastructure, then doubled back and took out a bunch more.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
octopi - due to the crash and subsequent drama, I don't think Intellivision was selling many new consoles after ~1985. Besides, I think NES came out about that time. Pretty unusual of your parents to stick you with something largely out of circulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents were old schoolers. They had their old console, which my brother and I played up until 1992. After that, we started moving and lost the thing. I had to leech off my friends at that point. DAMN MY PARENTSSSS!