Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Classic Movies

So I've pretty much had it with movies recently, and I'm looking to expand my film base. Lately I'll watch any piece of crap that comes On Demand and 9 out of 10 times I end up regretting it. So Loungers, I'm looking to you to suggest some classic movies that I should see. I know that 'classic' is a subjective term, especially given that some one you were around for the first talkies (I kid, I kid). But I'm really looking for movies pre-1970 (again, I know that some of you were already losing your hair by that point but...)

I went through a phase years ago where I got really into those late 60's, early 70's movies (i.e. Bonnie and Clyde, Butch Cassidy, etc) and I didn't really enjoy them. I found them slow and, to be honest, quite boring. I don't mind character development in film, but I need more out of a movie than just that.

I've enjoyed every Hitchcock film I've ever seen, especially North by Northwest, The Birds, and Vertigo.
I also used to love watching Westerns with my grandfather. Maybe it's just the good times spent watching with him that I remember, but I think I'd enjoy them today as well. I remember watching The Dirty Dozen and thinking it was the most kick-ass thing I'd ever seen.

I remember sitting through Citizen Kane years ago wondering 'what's the big deal?'

I'm looking for films that hold up. So consider yourself seeing your recommedations for the first time, as a typical ADD-ridden Gen X'er who has the attention span of a mosquito. I'm not saying I need to see blockbuster action movies, but you know what I mean. So Loungers - what are some 'must-see classics' that I need to see?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Classic Movies

I could right about 250 recommendations, but I'll try and do some that are a little less obvious at first, and see what others suggest.

First I'll suggest some Westerns. There's a set of westerns starring James Stewart, directed by Anthony Mann that are terrific. These are:

Winchester 73
Bend in the River
The Far Country
The Naked Spur
THe Man from Laramie

If you only catch one, try 'Winchester 73'.

IF you want an alternative one that's not often seen these days, there's a cool comedy Western that pretty old (black and white!) called 'Destry Rides Again' that's really worth a watch. Funny, sassy and cool.

I'll do more later.

And I'll also be first in suggesting Casablanca, one of the most perfect films ever. If you've never seen it, I seriously envy your first viewing. (Just try and sit down and watch it like it's just another movie is all I ask, not like it's a 'classic').
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 AM

"A Bridge Too Far" is probably my favorite war movie; covers Operation Market Garden in WWII and has a stellar cast.

James Caan is particularly brilliant.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM

If you havent seen Rear Window, now is the time to see it.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Off the top of my head some greats from that era are:

Patton
Midnight Cowboy
Cool Hand Luke
Bridge over the River Kwai

Also, I found that Casablanca lived up to all the hype, and if you haven't seen it you should.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:49 PM

Lawrence of Arabia
Double Indemnity
The Big Sleep
The African Queen
High Noon
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Bridge on the River Kwai - seems right up your alley...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Go back even further. I'm sure you'd like the Marx Brothers, Buster Keaton, etc.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM

Rope
Hitchcock

Plot: Two young men strangle their "inferior" classmate, hide his body in their apartment, and invite his friends and family to a dinner party as a means to challenge the "perfection" of their crime.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Some great suggestions. Thanks all.

I did see Cool Hand Like recently and (bracing myself for the flaming) I just didn't get it. I guess I was expecting something different, or maybe it's a generational thing. But to me it just seemed like a huge letdown. Especially the ending. Then again, maybe I just didn't get it.

I've never seen Casablanca, so I think that'll be my first choice this weekend.

Just looked up Bridge on the River Kwai on imdb and it looks awesome. I'll definitely check that out as well.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some great suggestions. Thanks all.

I did see Cool Hand Like recently and (bracing myself for the flaming) I just didn't get it. I guess I was expecting something different, or maybe it's a generational thing. But to me it just seemed like a huge letdown. Especially the ending. Then again, maybe I just didn't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, not flaming, but perhaps we have different tastes in movies (*spoiler alert*).

To me the theme of the movie was about human psychology, particularly in a vacuum. We all have things to do, goals to reach, in our daily lives. Write that paper to get the grade, do that project to get a paycheck, go out and try to shag someone, or maybe find a mate. But when people are placed in close proximity with nothing to strive for and nothing to do, what happens? Answer: pave roads really quickly, dig holes in the ground then fill them back in, and eat a lot of eggs. I like character driven movies.

Based on that maybe move Midnight Cowboy down your list a little bit (even though its truly one of my favorites). Patton, however, will deliver on all levels.