Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Who Best At Your Side During Major Heart Attack?

Statistics say that an EMT is much better in a situation where CPR is required.

Paramedics and doctors spend too much time pushing drugs and putting in et tubes.

This causes brain damage because CPR is being ignored.

The EMT has the tools and training to handle the situation the best. He can provide CPR and defib which are your best chance at survival.

Doctors and Paramedics statistically have been shown to provide worse outcomes. More brain damage and more deaths. It is assumed this is due to breaks in CPR because they are focusing on other advanced treatments that arent as helpful during the initial stages of a heart attack.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Statistics say that an EMT is much better in a situation where CPR is required.

Paramedics and doctors spend too much time pushing drugs and putting in et tubes.

This causes brain damage because CPR is being ignored.

The EMT has the tools and training to handle the situation the best. He can provide CPR and defib which are your best chance at survival.

Doctors and Paramedics statistically have been shown to provide worse outcomes. More brain damage and more deaths. It is assumed this is due to breaks in CPR because they are focusing on other advanced treatments that arent as helpful during the initial stages of a heart attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure how to put this politely so I will just say it. I think you may be the one who is brain damaged. Please pull the study that shows what you described above. That would be a fun read.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:22 AM

The main source of my anesthesiologist choice is Dr. Andrew Gibson of Danbury Connecticut and an another anesthesiologist associate of his. They were pretty adamament. Keep in mind though that you admitted they would be right in certain circumstances and I don't remember how I phrased the question to them.

On the other hand if you still think he is clearly wrong even if you agreed on the question, I'd bet you were wrong. Teaneck High. Class of 1966. We don't make big mistakes.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:25 AM

Too bad the class of "66" can't spell.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EMT is much better

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Paramedics statistically have been shown to provide worse outcomes

[/ QUOTE ]

could someone enlighten me to the real differences between EMT and paramedic

J
Old 01-20-2007, 05:12 PM

The premise in the origional question presumed a "major" MI, various levels of training, specialty, and standards of care..Plus assumed possession of all relevant equipment.
Correct conclusions within these parameters must be evaluated based on two differing aspects: pharmacological intervention and resuscitation during arrest.
While RX, (in particular thrombylitics, antiarrythmics, and circulatory supporters)are quite effective, their occasional failure is so catasrophic it must be a major factor in this decision. (It's imperative to assume cardiac insult leads to disrythmia>hemodynamic instability>full arrest) Thus: ACLS experience promotes greatest success.
An Anesthesiologist and ERP commonly work cardiacs and codes. Which most frequently, begs another consideration. Hospital size. In a small community setting, I doubt the ERP gets enough practice to overcome an anethesiologist's daily airway/circulatory experience. Assume a regional trauma center, and despite the code team, and handy cardiology consults, an ERP will become so familiar with initial ACLS intervention, I think he gains the advantage. Next, Paramedic of course for identical reasons, followed well behind by cardiologist and internist. Simple force of habit and manual skills will prove propitous.
That being said, let's forget precision responces and answer the spirit of the question.
The Cath Lab is the place to be. An interventional cardiologist with access to angiography, angioplasty, stenting, full ALS intervention, PLUS the OR next door prepared for CABBAGE (Coronary Artery Bypass) provides best hope for positive outcome. Anybody disagree? I'm fully prepared to CONSIDER your conclusions.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Why would you want epi IM? Sub q works faster, wears off faster, (a consideration in secondary SVTs) usually comes in preloads (doesn't have to be drawn) repeated q5 prn, and hurts less.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could someone enlighten me to the real differences between EMT and paramedic

[/ QUOTE ]
The EMT usually stops at the Waffle House on the way to the hospital and the paramedic waits till the patient is delivered to the hospital and then goes to the Waffle House.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want epi IM? Sub q works faster, wears off faster, (a consideration in secondary SVTs) usually comes in preloads (doesn't have to be drawn) repeated q5 prn, and hurts less.

[/ QUOTE ] You may be right it has been so long since I have used the drug. I may even recall the incident different than it was as I was in shock. I would not think that a suq q injection would be faster at e getting the medication into circulation. Fat cells are made to store fat and return it to the circulation slowly. An IM injection however is given in a very vascular area. I will happly defer to you though if you think that your are correct.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:49 AM

Paramedic - Fully trained and runs across Heart Attacks every week.