Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Random Preflop Frequencies Question

I say reraising AA is higher variance b/c you are more likely to get involved in a very large pot than if you just flat-call. If we flat call, we're going to raise most c-bets and bet most flops when checked to, and that will usually result in a fold and a smaller pot. Most of the time we will make more chips this way. If we reraise pf we will mostly win fewer chips but occasionally win way more chips.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say reraising AA is higher variance b/c you are more likely to get involved in a very large pot than if you just flat-call. If we flat call, we're going to raise most c-bets and bet most flops when checked to, and that will usually result in a fold and a smaller pot. Most of the time we will make more chips this way. If we reraise pf we will mostly win fewer chips but occasionally win way more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, well I guess reraising is always higher variance. That comment makes more sense with AQ, JJ, 98s or something. With AA, you increase your variance, but also increase your expectation considerably.

When the guy 4x it, particularly early with deep money, he often has a big ace or medium pp. So if you reraise, his action is waited towards calling or 4-betting rather than folding. Also, it is unlikely someone else will reraise here if you call. So this is just a bad situation to flat call and trap with aces.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

since when is variance a concern? And i dont even think what you said is close to true.
I think the 4x tell on stars is pretty big and a RR to 360 should get the job done here
Old 12-01-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use this line against a random, possibly Sat qualifier in the 162.

I'm reraising 80% of the time to 2 - 2.5 x only because will get called often enough.

If I reraise:
Non-scarry flops will make weakish looking CB to induce a raise (again this just seems to work often enough)
Due to his stack this will most likely mean going all the way with hand if reraised.

On scarry flops, will try to bet strong and define where I am. If board is super drawy may go with it anyway (is this spew?).

If calling:
will CR non scary flops.

Will lead out scary (pot size) flops (KQJ as mentioned, all spades, 567 off, etc.) and make a decision if they push.

[/ QUOTE ]

CORRECTION:
Tought we were in BB for some reason. Will still raise 80% ofthe time, with additional reason of
not letting blinds in. Will follow same logic as above but in position:

If I reraised make CB if checked to and reraise if bet into on non-scarry board.
If scarry, bet strong if checked to and reraise if bet into if we decide we are good (as above).