Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2

I seen the Cold War Kids when they opened for Muse. I went into it knowing nothing and was fairly impressed.

I have an awesome weekend lined up: Okkervil River on friday and Magnolia Electric Co. on sat. I was introduced to Magnolia from the last Indie love-fest thread and i'm really digging them. So, good looking out edgd.

Also Blindside on tuesday at the knitting factory. Thier first album, Silence, is one of my favorite heavy albums, so i'm duly stoked. The only bad thing is that it is @ Knitting Factory. Don't get me wrong, I like the place, particularly the balcony, but I always seem to end up drunk and lost in soho whenever i go there.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen these guys in either thread but I have totally been wearing out this disc. They were suppose to tour with the White Stripes before Meg bailed.

Cold War Kids
Cowards and Robbers Their Myspace page

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, are the Kids amazing or what?
Such a great debut album.
Saw them twice this summer; once at Bonnaroo and once at Rock En Seine in Paris where they replaced the "fatigued" (overdosed) Amy Winhouse last minute.

Honestly, as much as their album is a triumph, I think their live show is what is getting them they're acclaim. They [censored] bring it every show for sure. I have not been this excited for a new rock band in ages. They are getting my hopes up.

Hospital Beds on Leno
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen these guys in either thread but I have totally been wearing out this disc. They were suppose to tour with the White Stripes before Meg bailed.

Cold War Kids
Cowards and Robbers Their Myspace page

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentioned them briefly in the other thread. I hardly ever truly like anything the first time I listen to it. If I do, that's usually a sign it's a little too catchy and it tends to gets boring after repeated listens. I honestly loved the Cowards and Robbers album from the first listen, and don't like it any less dozens of times later. Pretty rare for me. Anyone see them at Lolla?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Mentioned in the other thread. Somehow Squirms got on Real World (even the band doesn't know how).

Squirms and Electric Shoes are my favs.

God Johnson on myspace
Old 09-28-2007, 11:27 AM

I only started listening to them because I saw they were opening for the White Stripes and I had never heard of them. I'm now pissed that the Stripes canceled so I don't get to see them live. Everyone's comments are really making me jealous now.

It's also rare for me to listen to something and really like it the more i listen to it. It's rare to be able to buy a cd and just let it play all the way through anymore.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mentioned in the other thread. Somehow Squirms got on Real World (even the band doesn't know how).

Squirms and Electric Shoes are my favs.

God Johnson on myspace

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to see them play... I live in the Twin Cities and I'm sure I would like them. Kind of sad that I never have actually.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:14 PM

was anyone ever into ben lee? a few years back i thought he was awesome - i just downloaded the new album and it's the biggest piece of crap i've ever heard.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ghostland Observatory - dancepunk duo from Austin. Saw them live and they were incredibly energetic and fun. I'd listen to Sad Sad City I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, Ghostland Observatory rules. I saw them in Dallas at a packed House of Blues. This was a few weeks after seeing them at a tiny place in Atlanta where there literally couldn't have been more than 40 people in the room (kicked ass). They're getting pretty popular around here though.

The lead singer has got some sweet pop-and-lock dance moves. I'm pretty sure they got me pregnant.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:29 AM

First couple of listens, I really like Iron and Wine's new disc. I've loved just about all his stuff, with In the Reins being my favorite.

On a non new music note, I've lately been listening to Elvis Costello for the first time, and loving it. So far just "My Aim is True" and "This Years Model," and their both great. I'm not sure how I've gone this far without ever hearing his stuff (with the exception of his SNL performance).
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 PM

this might not really fit the indie-critera, but it's so great that I just have to share them with you.
I have been listening to the scottish rockband Biffy Clyro's fourth cd Puzzle for two weeks nonstop now, and I keep discovering new details every time I listen to it.

Who's Got A Match?

Folding Stars

Their Myspace page