Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Default is competition getting too tough to make poker profitable?

Been playing poker for a couple years. Just like everyone else I think Im good. I have won a couple tourneys and placed in lots. I am a U.S. player so have been forced to play at lower stakes to insure my bankroll stays.

I remember a year ago I would have decent runs where I would leave w/ 3x, 4x, 5x etc my buy in for a NL session. Now big winning sessions seem to come way too far apart and am left settling w/ double buy in and being happy about it.

Like many others I have dreams of having the big roll to live off of. Is everyone just too good or am i just still coming into my own?

There was a post on how long it would take to get from $50 to $10,000 and a few people responded saying maybe 4 to 6 weeks... 2 to 4 weeks...???????????????? WHAT? am i that far behind?

Also, if anyone has a program to rate myself/stats... i am curious to see how i rate. BigErf FullTilt

thanks guys
Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: is competition getting too tough to make poker profitable?

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you are not as good as you think and your variance is kicking in.

As well, some beginning players can have great success for a while because their wild, unpredictable play can be hard to beat, especially if they get lucky a lot.

If you want to play poker as a primary or secondary source of income, then from the words of your post I would suggest that you are not on the right track.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:41 PM

i definetlt dont mind constructive criticism but i feel i may have sent the wrong impression.

i quess i may have come across as a wild player, which im not. my default play is tight aggressive but have enough experience to play any style. i have just noticed lately that it seems the tables are full of T.A. players which as we all know is not optimum for making money.

if "pantsonfire" or anyone else could respond i would like to know what i said to give the impression that i am not on the right track so i can analyze this and work on that area of my game. thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if anyone has a program to rate myself/stats... i am curious to see how i rate. BigErf FullTilt

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you're good, but how do you know that if you have no stats ? My advice would be to purchase Poker Tracker and find out for yourself what your true winrate/ROI is.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 PM

There is definately a cyclic process occuring. Before the poker boom most players were very solid. Since Moneymaker there has been a flood of players. Some good but many bad. In 2004/2005 almost every game was mostly fish. The bad players lose there money and either improve or quit. There continues a steady stream of new bad players but they are now being outnumbers by many good players of variable skill levels. Therefore, when you sit at a game now you will likely find mostly good players and if lucky a few fish. As for the ablity to make a living, it depends on how good you are. If not very good you may now have to table hop more to find an easier game.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:18 PM

Ive only been playing for about 6 months about an hour daily and I am amazed how people say they move up really fast...I started playing on .02/.05 on party with a $75.00 dollar roll and now Im playing at .05/.10 with a mid-300 dollar roll, struggling to move up to the next level via a sloow grind.
Everyone says how these players are easy, yes they make alot mistakes like limping etc, however, its not quick easy money. When a big fish comes to the table everyone tightens up and plays the same game it seems...when he leaves, everyone else leaves too. Another problem is all the small stacks...3/5th of the table all play <50bb its push or fold with them on the flop.

By the way,
http://www.poker-edge.com/whoami.php?name=BigErf

Heres your stats on the poker edge site it says you are a slag which I think is pretty good...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Poker will always be a profitable game.

As a simple analogy , students at school have all the information readily available to them and yet so many people fail . With the conception of the internet, we all have the ability to get straight A's , or the ability to pass our SAT's but it's not that easy . Some people take the easy route and become content with just being a good student but not necessarily a great student . Just like in poker , there are those who strive to be the best and those who play recreationally who are just happy to be in the game .
Old 09-22-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker will always be a profitable game.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many people do you know can even play 1/2 limit PROFITABLE in B&M? I don't think the best in the world are playing there but lets take another look...

A good player here has an advantage of 3% yet...

You are paying at LEAST half a big blind tip on every silly pot, not to mention 10% of the full-pot.

GFL...

I just want to point out that, not all games are equal, and hence, not all are profitable, no matter how good you are.

The low stakes, high-ante stud games are unbeatable, as the house just takes too much out of your BR.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i definetlt dont mind constructive criticism but i feel i may have sent the wrong impression.

i quess i may have come across as a wild player, which im not. my default play is tight aggressive but have enough experience to play any style. i have just noticed lately that it seems the tables are full of T.A. players which as we all know is not optimum for making money.

if "pantsonfire" or anyone else could respond i would like to know what i said to give the impression that i am not on the right track so i can analyze this and work on that area of my game. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say you might be overestimating the number of TAGs. It is rare that a table will be full of them. Perhaps you need to get some tracking software or pay closer attention to the style of your opponents. Don't butt heads with other TAGs. Pick on loose and passive players as well as LAGs.

Yes, I suppose in general players are getting better. But you can keep up by selecting the best games and targeting the weakest players. You can even go against other TAGs if you get a good line on how they play certain situations. TAGs can fold so if you can spot the narrow windows where they are ready to give up, drive a wedge in there.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:00 AM

"only been playing for about 6 months about an hour daily and I am amazed how people say they move up really fast..."

There was a window. It's closed. It's still possible; just harder. I went up/ got cocky/ lost. It's harder.