Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Official WGA Writers Strike thread.

Just something i was reading about how many eps are left of each show if this continues.

http://www.printthis.clickability.com/pt...om%2Fblog-entry
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NBC is considering substituting guest hosts for Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien on their respective late-night talk shows if the writers' strike becomes a lengthy affair, Daily Variety reported today (Monday), citing no sources. Leno has maintained that he could not perform effectively without his writing staff, although O'Brien, a former comedy writer himself, brought the house down at a charity affair last week with quips that were widely reported and displayed his ability to perform without assistance from a writing staff. Variety indicated that David Letterman or Jimmy Kimmel might return to the air as early as next week. Meanwhile, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists strongly condemned the Writers Guild of America East's attack on Ellen DeGeneres for continuing to tape her daytime talk show during the strike.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's one of the big problems I have with unions - the whole mob mentality/"scab" thing. If the WGAE officially attacked DeGeneres they are [censored].
Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am not sure law in order belongs on mr. cds's list

the woman's murder club is better written than most of the shows you listed. i'm being serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, regardless of whether you think Law and Order is entertaining, it is the very definition of cliche, repetitive, and formulaic, it's been the exact same show for 15 years.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 PM

i have a hard time taking someone seriously when they misuse both your/you're and their/there. normally i will look past errors like that on the internet, but when someone is trying to make claims about writing quality i think his inability to write himself becomes relevant (and no it's not just one or two typos, he has done it dozens of times in this thread alone). (and in case you can't tell who i'm talking about, i'm refering to CDS)
Old 11-13-2007, 01:15 PM

Very stupid reason to disqualify somebody's opinion about writing. Grammar has little bearing on a writers quality of story telling, or somebody's ability to see such quality. The triviality of a message board certainly adds to the unimportance, as well.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very stupid reason to disqualify somebody's opinion about writing.

[/ QUOTE ]
i disagree. it is a very stupid reason to disqualify someone's opinion on most topics. but i have yet to meet a good writer that regularly makes those mistakes. now obviously that doesn't mean it's impossible for someone to exist that is both a good writer and makes those errors, but in the absence of other evidence suggesting he is in fact a good writer, i take the information that i have.
(i do know smart math/science types who regularly make these mistakes, but no smart humantities types who do)

(edit, responding to his edit) i agree that it shouldn't matter much, in theory, but in reality i doubt you know any good writers who make these kinds of mistakes)
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a hard time taking someone seriously when they misuse both your/you're and their/there. normally i will look past errors like that on the internet, but when someone is trying to make claims about writing quality i think his inability to write himself becomes relevant (and no it's not just one or two typos, he has done it dozens of times in this thread alone). (and in case you can't tell who i'm talking about, i'm refering to CDS)

[/ QUOTE ]

ya...luckley i don't care. but you would be surprised how many screenwriters mangle the inglish language. Usually won't see it in their scripts...but in thy're emails/letters etc it can be giberish...though like me they simply may not care enough to bother poof reading/spell checking/ or give a [censored]. lol

And Law and Order is well written. Sorry if u don't like it or thinks its cliche and unoriginal(which the majority of all movies and tv shows are) but it is well written..much more so than the Woman's Murder Club which isn't terrible but doesn't not consistenly tell a compact and effective story.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 PM

And now we have another union striking in New York paralyzing broadway. The equipment movers union or something. One of the perks of that union is that there needs to be a minimum amount of people working, even if that means that someone is actually doing nothing.

The beauty of unions. Looking out only for themselves. Not saying I blame them, but everyone pays a 'tax' because of them.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Law and Order is well written. Sorry if u don't like it or thinks its cliche and unoriginal(which the majority of all movies and tv shows are) but it is well written..much more so than the Woman's Murder Club which isn't terrible but doesn't not consistenly tell a compact and effective story.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with you on this. it's not the fault of the writers that the show is formulaic. i do blame the writers for many of the failings of a show like 24, whose main faults are just laziness on the part of the writing team (not that the producers are much help either)
Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with you on this. it's not the fault of the writers that the show is formulaic. i do blame the writers for many of the failings of a show like 24, whose main faults are just laziness on the part of the writing team (not that the producers are much help either)

[/ QUOTE ]

24 is a far more complex show to write...basically any heavily serialized show is...but the last season was so bad you really can't give the writers a pass.

Also it was nice to see that the showrunner of Heroes agreed that they screwed up and did a very poor job writing the episodes so far this season.