Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Deal values Facebook at at least 15 Billion Dollars

Why not buy in? Microsoft spent $250 million for access to 50 million users. $5 bucks per user. That is a sweet deal.

Some companies out there pay way more than this. Some sites even get this kind of money if you just click through to their site.

Besides, maybe this is Facebooks business model, collect the advertising fee upfront in a lump sum, with a percentage of the company given in return to guarantee success. What is to stop Facebook from selling off another 1.6% to someone else with $250 million to spend. Sell yourself off piece by piece and then sit back and collect royalties. Sweet.

Microsoft has more money than God. Either they buy stuff or give the money back to shareholders.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM

I agree with most posts here about how FB has a stranglehold on the under 25, college educated crowd and it is a valuable audience.

To play the devil's advocate, although I haven't ran an advertising campaign on FB myself, there is at least one prominent blogger that has and reported very poor results. Although the impressions are high, the click through is very poor and mostly by accident.

To maintain this valuation, sooner or later, they need to bring in the revenue. I hope they don't start selling their data like LinkedIn to recruiters. It pissed me off to no end when I started getting cold calls from recruiters at work from the information I posted on LinkedIn.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what will happen to the microsoft stock?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure that a 240m investment will move the stock too much on the downside...
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 AM

It just hit a 52-week high today
Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM

looks like yesterday would have been a good day to buy it. does anyone think it will ocntinue to go up in the next weeks
Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM

I have been long MSFT for nearly two years waiting for this day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I sold my entire position tiering downwards averaged to $35.48 per share. I plan to wait for a dip below $32 and buy back in, probably back to a longer term hold position.

Jimbo

PS: Actually I think $32 may become the new resistance level so if it gets near $32 I'll buy back in.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM

A little off subject, but FWIW, now is a definitely great time to buy short term MSFT put options. The price levels are very predictable right now based on several technical indicators.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited about the $15 billion thing. Microsoft desperately wants to get more heavily involved with online advertising and they probably would have paid this amount with no equity share attached for the advertising rights. Facebook gives MSFT a lot more page views, demographic data, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also start powering search on facebook at some point.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just hit a 52-week high today

[/ QUOTE ]
this had nothing to do w/ facebook but more to do with windows vista sales and other [censored] like enterprise sales...

anyway, the bottom line is that everyday I check my email, listen to my ipod, do at least 5 google searches, read the wallstreet journal and ny times, check espn.com, check twoplustwo, and check my facebook. seems like everyone hs and college age always checks facebook daily. I like the innocent stalking, and the ability to stay in touch with friends. i dont think its going anywhere unless they somehow alienate their user population.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 AM

Out of curiosity, how many of you, especially those who log on facebook.com as a routine, have clicked on a facebook ad?