Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Is it ever possible to avoid getting busted by sets?

That's about the long and short of it. With 100 effective stacks, you're going going to stack off sometimes while others you can lay down.

So much has to do with flop texture and reads in these spots, though, as well as your table image.

I will say that as you come to play better players and find yourself deeper stacked, you're going to make a lot more laydowns with overpairs.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've experience and seen this situation all too often. You get AA preflop (woohoo), raise it up 4x standard. Get a caller. Board comes something like 2sTcJc. Its drawy, better bet out big here to chase out the flush and straight drawers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mistake may be this thought right here. You're not trying to chase out draweing hands, you're trying to make them either call a bet incorrectly or fold incorrectly.

Consider. Do you want a hand like KT or J9 to fold? Or do you want to play in a way that gets you paid off?

One mistake that some players make is that they become so shell-shocked from being drawn out that they become fixated on possible draws and seem to forget about the other hands that are in their opponents' hand ranges.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've experience and seen this situation all too often. You get AA preflop (woohoo), raise it up 4x standard. Get a caller. Board comes something like 2sTcJc. Its drawy, better bet out big here to chase out the flush and straight drawers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mistake may be this thought right here. You're not trying to chase out draweing hands, you're trying to make them either call a bet incorrectly or fold incorrectly.

Consider. Do you want a hand like KT or J9 to fold? Or do you want to play in a way that gets you paid off?

One mistake that some players make is that they become so shell-shocked from being drawn out that they become fixated on possible draws and seem to forget about the other hands that are in their opponents' hand ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I usually make about a 3/4PSB bet on the flop here which should get called by TP kind of hands. Then the same problem runs out when u get to showdown, he turns over a set instead.

Im 1 of those players that gets outdrawn till its messing with my mind lol. If i dont take it down before the river, all kinds of scary things start popping up in my head. Oh well i know it shouldnt, but still cant help it.

So it seems like the concensus here is that with the right board and without any detailed read, u HAVE to pay off your oppoents?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Against certain opponents, I may take the line of bet the flop, check the turn, and call the river bluff (or bet when checked to in order to represent a bluff).

It wouldn't be unusual for me to bet half the pot and decide whether or not to make a bigger bet that charges draws on the turn. A player with a set will often try to check-raise the turn if I bet this way because he's hoping to get value out of me in case I fire another barrel with two overs, while a player with a draw will often call the flop because I made the price look cheap then won't semibluff check-raise the turn without a scare card because there's only one card to come.

I like to think that with the wrong board and no read, I'm going to take a defensive path that avoids getting stacked, even if it means missing a bet, and try to get to showdown. If he's the type who's willing to stack off with KT here, I'm probably going to get his chips anyways.

Remember that your EV for a given hand isn't just a function of how much money you extract when you have the best hand, but also how much you avoid losing when you don't.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against certain opponents, I may take the line of bet the flop, check the turn, and call the river bluff (or bet when checked to in order to represent a bluff).

It wouldn't be unusual for me to bet half the pot and decide whether or not to make a bigger bet that charges draws on the turn. A player with a set will often try to check-raise the turn if I bet this way because he's hoping to get value out of me in case I fire another barrel with two overs, while a player with a draw will often call the flop because I made the price look cheap then won't semibluff check-raise the turn without a scare card because there's only one card to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine if we are in position, when OOP, checking induces bluffs, and villian will then usually bet which without a solid read, we cant be sure if its a bluff, TP overpair kind of hands, or set. And by the river, its too late [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (stacked by set again? damn)
Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 AM

If you don't want to stack off to sets then simply set a budget on post-flop betting of 10x the pre-flop raise.

Of course if you do this against the type of player who loves sooted connectors then you'll be semi-bluffed frequently, but as you would get outdrawn frequently anyway, or fold on a scary turn card incorrectly; you probably don't lose as much as you might think.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is fine if we are in position, when OOP, checking induces bluffs, and villian will then usually bet which without a solid read, we cant be sure if its a bluff, TP overpair kind of hands, or set. And by the river, its too late [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (stacked by set again? damn)

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of my profit comes from inducing bluffs OOP.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 PM

[quote Board comes something like 2sTcJc. Its drawy, better bet out big here to chase out the flush and straight drawers. You make a 3/4PSB and get raised 3x.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you mean 3x? If it's 3 times the pot you can fold and be happy. Even 3 times your last bet you can fold. Raising "3x" on the flop is (probably) a sucker play with a set, but also if he makes that move with a draw you might want to spend a few more minutes trying to figure this guy out. You'll get his money within an hour.

In any case being re-raised on the flop should put you on defence mode, unles you know this guy is a sucker. I think it's more common for a set to raise on turn, not flop. In any case if your flop bet gets called/raised you shoud get very suspicious and try to keep the pot small from there on. Try to make your hand look like you missed the flop with AK or AQ. A busted draw will regularly make a massive bet on the river, whereas a set/made hand normally makes a miniscule/small bet in hopes that you will call with your obvious Ace high.