Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Psychological Issue to BR Management

Third time I'm re-writing this. I wasn't happy with what I'd written on the previous two occasions so here goes. My problem is that I can NEVER step away from the tables when running bad. It's so bad that I'll keep playing to a point where I actually reach 10-15BI downswings in a weekend at $200 6-max/HU. I read blogs where $200 players are ready to jump off a cliff if they lose $800-$1,000. I don't feel this hurt initially but then the realisation sets in that I've lost a decent chunk of change and I hate that.

I am not getting this feeling SOON enough and the hurt only sets in when I've left the tables. I implement a 50+ BI BR requirement. Nitty I know but I've got my reasons i.e. going butso twice.

However, I'm inconclusive as to whether that's now having a negative impact on my psychological approach/difference to how I play my regular $200 games vs. when I take shots at $400. Yes, I'm now lapsing in my own BR requirements and taking shots at $400 and with success might I add.

Should I seriously reconsider a change in BR requirements?
Are stop-leave strategies good when having a bad session?
If so, how would I, given that I find it impossible to leave when running badly, implement it?

I suppose it's a simple question that will beckon a simple answer to what is a serious problem for me. I just need reassurance on what is the best approach from here. I've got about 30BIs for $400 games right now FWIW and FYI.

In short, losing needs to hurt a lot more and I want to play my A-Game a lot more often.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Psychological Issue to BR Management

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm now lapsing in my own BR requirements and taking shots at $400 and with success might I add.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you got some great positive reinforcement doing something you should be kicked in the arse for. You get stuck for what 30% of your BR, and THEN you decide to take shots? My friend we don't call that shot-taking, we call that loss-chasing, and you're about to head down busto lane for a third time if you don't smarten up.

Make clearly defined BR management rules for yourself. Write them down and stick them right in front of you as you're playing. When you get an urge to break a rule try to remember as intently as possible how going broke the first 2 times made you feel. Getting stuck a couple BIs is way better than spewing your roll on some delusional 'shot'.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 PM

if you lose more in one day than you can win in 2 or 3 days then you are setting yourself up for psychlogocial problems like major tilt.

I mean, a big part of poker is about making your decisions easier, and your opponents decisions harder. don't make your own harder.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM

I guess tough love is what I need. I've only ever played $400 games to "chase" twice in my life so fortunately I don't slip into that problem too often.

PLOlover - I really like this

[ QUOTE ]
if you lose more in one day than you can win in 2 or 3 days then you are setting yourself up for psychlogocial problems like major tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm really going to think about this cause I think there's a lot of things to be learned about how i approach the entire game in that respect....or if i have that in mind.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM

This is stupid. Not to follow bankroll management(which is created for your CONFORT, man!), and after that telling that the main problem is he can't leave the table after bunch of lost bankrolls. The best players I know don't leave either.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are stop-leave strategies good when having a bad session?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's moot if you can't follow them.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, how would I, given that I find it impossible to leave when running badly, implement it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes, you just have to do it. Don't effing "implement" it, just find an effing way to get yourself to quit sessions better. That skill, btw, is part of your game. Given that, your game needs work.

Try this: make the object of the game to quit at the right time. If you do, you win, if not you lose. Next time you sit down, that's what winning/losing is about.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it's a simple question that will beckon a simple answer to what is a serious problem for me. I just need reassurance on what is the best approach from here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That old common wisdon: "Play while the game is good and you are playing well" applies here, even though your in SnG's.

If you're distracted, you're not playing well.
If you're tired, you're not playing well.
If you have a headache, you're not playing well.
If you're fearfull (of losing), you're not playing well.
If you're on tilt, you're not playing well.

If you're not playing well, get out of the game. It's just not any harder than that.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 PM

Stop-leave ftw.I usually stop after losing 2-3 BI or once I know I'm not playing well. I go and play Battlefield 2 on xbox live, good for blowing off some steam.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM

I have the same problem as the author. I am a winning player, but when I start losing I just cant stop losing alot (like 5-15 buyins) in NL400-NL600 games.

I have the bankroll for these limits, so its not a problem, I know I can beat these limits, but I can not control my monkey tilt. I have been reading alot about this subject, but rarely people say what they do to avoid these kind of mistakes.

I know the solution has to be, to get out from the game when I start losing bed. But I dont know when? When I lost like 2-3-4-5 buyins?

How do you control this kind of tilt with exact tools???
Old 08-29-2007, 10:40 AM

When you lose x dollars in a day, you walk away immediately (or at your blind if you can hold out that long).