Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Brag or Beat: Just bought a 2007 Yaris

No, not really, imo. There are degrees of used, a car that is 3 or 4 years old, still under factory warranty, with an option to buy an extended warranty is the way to go. Paying 19k for a car that retails for 12k, they took you for a ride, I have no doubt you are basiccally giving the salesman about 5k for him to pocket.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, not really, imo. There are degrees of used, a car that is 3 or 4 years old, still under factory warranty, with an option to buy an extended warranty is the way to go. Paying 19k for a car that retails for 12k, they took you for a ride, I have no doubt you are basiccally giving the salesman about 5k for him to pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all the papers, and it's all legit as far as I can tell, I think the overriding factor as to why I bought a new car was that I am making decent $ for my age and if given the choice, a car is what I would prefer to commit the most of my income to. Also the horrible past I have with used cars.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Serious beat if you work at Brookstone and make $175/week, and have no other income. Do you atleast make some extra monies on the side playing poker?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dam, I am thinking I really should have done more research on this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you probably should have. But don't feel too bad, we've all spent money carelessly in our youth. And you've still got a new car. But take this as a lesson so you don't end up like every other American with thousands of dollars of credit card debt at 9%.

Did you do the negotiations with the salesman by yourself?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:16 AM

It's not cheaper than used cars, at least not if you are decent at buying used cars.

Still, nice car. Congrats. Little Toyota that gets great mileage is a good move, imho.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:21 AM

They know how to make the papers look legit. 19k for a 12k sticker price is unreal. Its not a matter of what you want to commit your money too, its a matter of making sure you get as much car for your money as possible. As an example, I recently bought a 2003 escalade, with 27k miles (23 left on warranty), for about 3 grand more than you ended up paying. If we both sell our cars 3 years from now, Im taking about a 3 to 5k hit, you are taking an 11 to 13k hit.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:21 AM

I do make decent money playing poker, and my job is incredibly secure. I never plan on being in debt, or else I would never have gotten the car in the first place. (I have a system in which I have 5 months of payments in the bank just in case.)Also I wouldn't go so far as to say the purchase was "careless," it wasn't an impulse buy in any way. And yes, I did do all the negotiations with the salesman.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I'm 18 years old, have a steady decent paying job; and my old Grand Am just died on me. Went to dealership and decided to buy 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback. I put 1200$ down payment on it, and will make payments of 300$ a month for 60 months. I chose the yaris because of the gas milage (40), the price, (12,000), and I just really like the looks of it. My first new car ever, what do you guys think of the car/the way I got it? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

all i had to do was look at your screenname. i'm not the least bit surprised that you purchased this car.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only rich people should buy new cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

You should not be buying a new car.

A 2001 Toyota with 65,000 miles is what you should have looked for.

Edit: LOL at your responses in this thread. Financially, your purchase was a terrible idea.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, I did do all the negotiations with the salesman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda figured that. Big mistake. I know that you want to be independent and stuff, but an 18 year old is fresh meat for a car dealer. Not only does he know what he's doing a lot better than you, you're automatically in a weak bargaining position because of your age. Whether you were conscious of it or not, it was probably very difficult for you to assert yourself. Confidence is huge in any negotiation. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I probably would have gotten owned pretty hard when I was 18 too.