Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Default TT getting min-raised

$300 buy-in, 2000 entries, 400 left, 200 prizes, avg stack 20k

Villian is a pretty solid player and we have been at the table for about 1 hour, one of the first hands he played I raised, he called and c/f'ed flop. I have a pretty tight image and Villian have been pretty tight as well.

The hand prior to this UTG (new to table and unkown too me) limped, I raised to 3400 with QQ (Villian doesnt know my hand obv), all folded to UTG that made it 11.5k and I folded.

My stack: 21k
Villians stack: 22k

500/1000, 10 players

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 2300, 5 folds, CO calls, 3 folds

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6100, 2 players)
Hero bets 4600, CO raises to 9200, Hero..?

If I fold I have 14k (14bb) left.

Fwiw my plan in this state of the tournament was to maybe take some chances to double up to possibly have a good stack when coming near the money to possibly running over the table sinse many of the ppl are weak players and/or satellite-qualifiers.

Comments on preflop, the flop bet and the QQ-hand are welcome as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: TT getting min-raised

[ QUOTE ]

The hand prior to this UTG (new to table and unkown too me) limped, I raised to 3400 with QQ (Villian doesnt know my hand obv), all folded to UTG that made it 11.5k and I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you always fold QQ to a UTG limp-reraise? Or is it dependent on the tournament?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you always fold QQ to a UTG limp-reraise? Or is it dependent on the tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]
very dependening on lots of things (buy-in, my stack/his stack/reads etc.) of course and not my standard play but it felt right this time. this was the first limp I saw in the whole tournament for at least 1 hour. also, I raise UTG+1 with the whole field to act behind me which shows much more strength than if I raised in the CO for example. also, it was a tournament with pretty much prestige involved and a large prizepool (biggest ever to this date at the given site).

I also would expect a push over my raise with something like AK or a small PP instead of the smaller raise so I thought the risk he had aces or kings was very big and the risk/reward didnt look good for continue (pushing) with the hand.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 PM

the qq play is really bad imo, some people limp shove like crazy in spots like these........ with a ton of different hands for different reasons. As for this hand you have to go with it, i think his range can contain lower pairs or air enough of the time for this to be profitable and i dont even think its very close. This is a pretty good flop for the villian to c/r so id play the tens to the felt in which ever way you think is the most profitable. Also if he views u as solid theres a decent chance hes re raising the top of his range for value be4 the flop so, based on this i think you should be pretty confident here in this spot.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM

any more opinions? esp on the hand primary hand in question.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 PM

I think you're gonna see a bigger pair here a lot of the time. A lot depends on my view of the opponent. He just saw you raise/fold for a good size pot so I can't believe he's trying to run a play here.

As for the QQ hand was it a limp shove or just a limp/reraise. I think folding to a limp/shove is bad but folding to a limp/reraise is fine.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 AM

Am I too nitty for open folding this UTG?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I too nitty for open folding this UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes. I just can't think of an explannation that wouldn't only state the obvious.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're gonna see a bigger pair here a lot of the time. A lot depends on my view of the opponent. He just saw you raise/fold for a good size pot so I can't believe he's trying to run a play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reverse pshychology. Infinite ofcourse!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM

I'd have like to have seen a bigger raise PF. Somewhere along the lines of 2600-2800. Is he a player who would call with a suited connector here in LP like 89s or 910s? As it stands, I don't see how you're ahead here. With the villain being as tight as you mentioned, that min raise looks incredibly strong and he's definitely committing himself here. I'm not sure exactly what he's showing up here that you're beating besides like 88 and maybe 66. I'd probably fold this.