Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Two Books That Changed Your Life and Why

'The Celestine Prophecy' and 'The Four Agreements'.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I a pompous A-Hole for laughing at most of these books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely, yes.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Søren og Mette. This was the book we used to learn to read when I started in school and I think this is the book that has had the largest effect on my life.

The book that I'm most in awe of is The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. It's a complicated time traveling story and at the end it all ties so beautifully together that I was completely blown away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dood! TIm Powers! Big UP! I loved Last Call... I should read that other book, huh? Wow, so, like, cool.

Bye,
--GA
Old 02-23-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Rich Dad Poor Dad...gave me a whole new way to look at money

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got friends who swear this to be the best book they ever read (all business majors)...I don't get it...

All of those books that are sold on TV seem to just be books written to sell it above all...and not much in the way of great content.

mine are Theory Of Poker and Parallel Worlds

...the subjects are what my life is not dominated by..Poker and Science
Old 02-23-2006, 07:18 PM

I think you are alone on this one. Kind of like here.

not funny video
Old 02-23-2006, 07:20 PM

Two...what?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I a pompous A-Hole for laughing at most of these books? A lot of you guys really need to read more.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I felt exactly the same way.

I have read some really, really negative reviews of rich dad poor dad, and I definitely believe them over the people who talk about how genius it is. I could read the book but it would probably be a waste of my time.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I a pompous A-Hole for laughing at most of these books? A lot of you guys really need to read more.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I felt exactly the same way.

I have read some really, really negative reviews of rich dad poor dad, and I definitely believe them over the people who talk about how genius it is. I could read the book but it would probably be a waste of my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, could someone who has read the book please explain why it is so great?

To me it seems like common sense that was a #1 seller due to pyramid schemes (I Also downloaded the Rich Dad, Poor Dad video game, I basically laughed and closed it- it stated that everyone should join a pyramid scheme or 2)
Old 02-23-2006, 07:32 PM

I've never read a book that's changed my life. Made me think? Sure. But an honest to God life changing epiphany?

Not even close.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:35 PM

pshreck,

some may have read more ambitious books and books that are more meaningful in a broad sense but that may not mean that its going to affect each person the same way.

for instance, one of my books would be Watership Down- by Richard Adams, nothing special and the reason isn't even because the words within it changed my life but b/c it was the first book i ever read. my dad gave it to me when i was 8 and made me read it, difficult for the age but would talk to me about every chapter and made sure i understood all concepts and this was the book that introduced me into fiction and literature and my love for it.

if i were to just list the book you might think, "watership down? wtf?" but there are somtimes reasons some books affect others and sometimes time periods in which they were read in which they could be meaningful etc. a book can mean somthing to one person and somthing completely different to another, its something you shouldn't be pretentious about.

sincerely,

~td

p.s i am not sure what my second book would be, there are too many to choose from...my freshman year of college i didn't know there was an attendance policy and i have been missing class and just turning in the papers and attending the tests. i had an "A" avg., but the teacher was going to fail me. i told her i had a death in the family, not sure if she believed it...but she let me pick a book from a list and gave me 3 days to read it and write a 20 page paper on it. tough to do. i did it on Ralph Ellison's- Invisible Man, not only was it a great book but i wrote a great paper which allowed me to pass. so i guess that would be my second choice.