Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 03-02-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Tell me it ain\'t so, Joe

[ QUOTE ]
I do know FTP and the PPA get some high-priced legal advice and I would be surprised if this was structured in a way that had bad legal ramifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, as we all know, the higher-priced the legal advice is, the less suspect it is, I suspect a few of Larry Sonsini's clients are thinking otherwise right about now. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm not educated on the law on legal conduits for money being funnelled to lobbyists, so I certainly won't comment, other than to say I hope what they're doing isn't contraventing the law in that regard.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Milton - I went to FTP website and here is how they describe the process:
# Log in to your Full Tilt Poker account and click on the Cashier button on the right.

# Click on the My Promotions button in the bottom right hand corner of the Cashier.

# Click on the Poker Players Alliance banner at the top of the page.

# Select your PPA membership by clicking the button that corresponds to your preferred PPA membership level.

# At this point, you will be transferred to a special PPA page where you can complete your registration. Once finished, simply return to the Full Tilt Poker game and begin playing in our ring games and tournaments to earn the Full Tilt Points you need to claim your bonus.

Still havent done it myself (I am already a PPA member, but I believe there is an option for me too), but the above method looks like no money is actually passing through FTP.

Skallagrim
Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Being as I'm a bonus whore I signed up through the link which takes you to the PPA website where you sign up and pay for the PPA.

Full Tilt is basically working as an "Affiliate" for the PPA.

The bonus is kind of like when you sign up for a poker room thru an affiliate that gives you a chip set for signing up using their link.

Not sure if that makes it legal.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: illegal to have offshore entity pay you to donate to lobbying firm ?

[ QUOTE ]
This could be a crime (by the poker player) , at least on paper. Of course I can't imagine them trying to prosecute it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is of the most interest to me. The PPA and Full Tilt have their interests.

But what of the player. Anyone else want to talk about that aspect?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I'm not educated on the law on legal conduits for money being funnelled to lobbyists, so I certainly won't comment, other than to say I hope what they're doing isn't contraventing the law in that regard.

[/ QUOTE ]Well done sir!

Gotta use that legal education somehow.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: illegal to have offshore entity pay you to donate to lobbying firm ?

I think this is basically the same way the PPA got most all of its original members and cashflow. Party Poker offered a bonus to anyone who joined the PPA for Free through them. I'm not sure if Party made it clear in the promotion that Party was also paying the $20 PPA Membership Fee. But I doubt if PPA was just giving the memberships away for free if they came through Party. Also, the $1-2 million in PPA's coffers came from somewhere.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-03-2007, 07:52 AM

PTB, if memory serves me correctly, the riginal Party/PPA bonus was based on you going to the PPA website and making a donation to join. You would then input your membership number into the Party deposit screen, as a deposit bonus code, along with your next deposit, in order to activate the bonus.

I believe also at the end, Party put up an option on the withdrawal screen, for you to allocate funds from your balance to be directly donated to the PPA, rather than withdrawn.

I haven't looked at the FTP process, but Milton raises a good point...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked at the FTP process, but Milton raises a good point...

[/ QUOTE ]

The process ultimately sends you to a PPA web site (not FTP) where you donate using credit card or (possibly) other options. I did it with a credit card. No money flows through Full Tilt.