Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 AM

Default VPN/VPS/remote IP question...

I am in Thailand and PartyPoker recently got banned here. I am seeing what my cheapest option would be. I tried using a VPN in Canada but the lag was far to great (400ms, and IPs I've pinged in Europe have similar lags). The only countries close to here that PartyPoker can be played in are Japan and Cambodia and I am considering getting a service there (unless there is a way to have less lag from another country).

I wanted to ask you what service I need exactly. I am quite new at this. Do I need to use remote desktop or can I just somehow bounce my connection off a dedicated IP w/ the lag being too great and just play poker using my desktop here? Lag really seems to be an issue for me.

Please help if you have a few minutes.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: VPN/VPS/remote IP question...

You can use a remotedesktop or use openvpn to bounce your connection(www.openvpn.se & www.openvpn.org).

Remotedesktop is a pain the ass to use to poker playing because its usually really slow and the lag is awful(www.tightvnc.com).

Openvpn is pretty easy to install to a remotedesktop if the VPS supports it. Some VPS providers got some problems with TAN/TUN virtualdrivers if using windows on the VPS. You need to email them and ask if they support it.

Installing the openvpn on linux VPS is pretty hard if you dont got the experience but if you got it running its solid.

We are in 3rd world country and the internet just isnt great in here. I just dont think there is anyway to get lagfree vpnconnection from thailand if you dont got a really good/expensive internetconnection.

I'm in thailand right now and i havent found a stable solution to play on partypoker. My vpn in europe is lagging really bad, the problem could be though about the internetconnection here in chiang mai. I only use my vpn to access neteller/other services which are blocked in thailand and dont require lot of bandwith.

Hope it helps and tell me if you find a good solution [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

-A.S