Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Poker After Dark thread (week of 1/2)

I loved the table talk. It's part of the game, and we should be able to hear it. I wish LATB would give more table talk and less commentary.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jesus you guys are hard to please. People hate on High Stakes Poker b/c you can't hear the table talk. People hate on the WPT type shows b/c they're so heavily edited. Now this show let's you listen to all the talk and see almost all of the hands and people are saying they want more announcers and more editing. wtf? I think it's really good so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Maybe people will like it better when less obnoxious players with better personalities are on...I still like it now though.

Also, aren't you supposed to get over your hatred for Hellmuth at around the same time you realize you're not supposed to move up to where players will respect your raises?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Ok, watched the show and I have a few comments. The player chat is unbelievably annoying. I came to watch people chatter incessantly and a poker game broke out!!! They really have to cut out 90% of the talk. I don't care how long Phil has been married for. None of these players are funny. I'm trying to watch an interesting hand and people are just talking like nothing is happening. It makes the show much less dramatic.

The commentery, or lack of, is just dumb and unnecessary and lame.

I don't care about Shana so meh.

The episode was ok but I don't like watching Huck, Steve Z. Annie or Shekie play. I enjoy watching Phil and his outbursts (still), and I like watching Gus play crazy (although for some dumb reason he's playing like a nit this episode).
Old 01-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Here are my points. First I really like this show and think it can work.
The idea of showing a whole tournament(almost every hand) with no luckbox amatuers, no annoying announcers,table talk, plenty of postflop play, and without having the winner's name on every poker blog 6 month's beforehand is a GREAT IDEA.

- Announcing. I like the minimal announcing. One of the annoying things about HSP is that you can't hear the table talk. I really like hearing the table talk. I think color commentors (in general, there are exceptions) are pretty overrated. Alot of sports/event shows would be fine with just a play by play guy.
However with less announcing it would probably be better to do more with the graphics. For example show who's in the blinds,button etc by the graphics so it's easier to follow.
Also I do wonder what the show will be like when less talkative players play. Unless they make sure to always cast 2-3 heavy talkers at each table. In that case what would happen if those players get knocked out early and its Harrington, Ivey and Juanda playing 3 handed?

- Shana. I'll admit to huge Shana Bias but I think she needs to featured more prominently. While I think this concept can work well even without her, I think the people behind this show may be missing the fact that she is a big draw. Alot of viewers are watching this show in the beggining soley b/c of her.
That being said I think it's weird to have to her talking about the players right in front of them acting as if they're not there (or this is some weird "Saved by the Bell" Timeout moment)

- Play. Truthfully while I enjoyed the show. I did find the play a little boring. I'm not sure if it's the players, the cards or the winner take all structure. I'm curious to see how this plays out in later episodes because it seems certain players may be playing some kind of modified SnG stategy of playing super tight early, staying close in chips and then going crazy when the blinds get big. Could be wrong though. Wonder if paying top 2 would change anything.

- Episode order. Was this the first tournament taped. Sheik said he was veteran of this format and was talking about a tournament that he played that he made it 3 handed with JJ, AC and MM got knocked out right away. Maybe this was some Poker Superstars show I didn't see but I don't like this. These comments really should be BEEPED as if they were swear words. I want to be suprised when I watch. One of the aspects of this show I really like is I can finally watch a poker show and not know who won before hand.
Also this kinda of worries me because it seems like maybe the producers cherry picked this tournament thinking it was the best one and the other's shown later may not be that great.

- Money on the Table- This isn't HSP. This is a tourney. No need for cash on the table.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Shana. I'll admit to huge Shana Bias but I think she needs to featured more prominently. While I think this concept can work well even without her, I think the people behind this show may be missing the fact that she is a big draw. Alot of viewers are watching this show in the beggining soley b/c of her.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen, brother.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Don't think anyone has posted this yet, but it's Shana's take on the players this week from NBC's website:

http://www.nbcsports.com/poker/760172/detail.html
Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 PM

A dangling participle in the very first sentence? I'm so disillusioned.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:25 PM

I like the table talk, but jeez I hate these players. Phil, Annie and Sheikan are annoying all by themselves and to have all three of them chattering away is bananas. Zolotow just adds to the grate factor. Half the time it seemed Sheikan didn't even realize it was his action. I think I'll just fast-forward till one of the magpies bust.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think anyone has posted this yet, but it's Shana's take on the players this week from NBC's website:

http://www.nbcsports.com/poker/760172/detail.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. Why are the Shana slideshow pics on this site soooooo tiny?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Is it just me, or does Annie Duke look a lot older than she did when I saw her at the WSOP last summer?