Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: BCS Standings, November 11th

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boise State is gotta be looking ahead to that Hawaii game. That is gonna be a huge game for both teams, that 7.5 million dollar payday could help either program tremendously(Boise getting it two years in a row would be huge).

[/ QUOTE ]

They have to be in the top 12 to get the automatic berth though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did I think it was top 16? I just figured they would easily get top 16 if they won @ Hawaii. So I guess Hawaii with games vs BSU and UW would have the better chance. Hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its top 12 for automatic berth. Top 16 gets an automatic berth if one of the BCS conference champions is outside the top 16. That shouldn't happen this year.

Also you have to be top 14 for an at-large berth.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can KU finish undefeated and not make the national championship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since that means beating Missouri and Oklahoma, I would say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could easily happen if Oregon & LSU win out...don't see how you can say no.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 PM

They are close enough to Oregon now that if they beat Missouri and Oklahoma, they will definitely pass them in the computer rankings and I would think the voters would give the Jayhawks the nod too. If there is only one undefeated BCS team, then the voters will put them in the championship game.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be interesting to see the result if Oregon and LSU won out, and either KU, OU or Mizzou won out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it would be that interesting because I can say with 85% certainty if the Big 12 team that wins out is KU it will be KU, LSU, Oregon, in that order, while if either of the other two win out it will be LSU, Oregon, and the Big 12 team, in that order. Oklahoma has maybe a 5% chance to leapfrog Oregon if they both win out, Oregon has maybe a 10% chance to pass LSU if they both win out, and KU is at least 90% to take over the #1 spot if they win out.
[ QUOTE ]
Boise State is gotta be looking ahead to that Hawaii game. That is gonna be a huge game for both teams, that 7.5 million dollar payday could help either program tremendously(Boise getting it two years in a row would be huge).

[/ QUOTE ]
To clarify... top 12 gets an automatic berth. Top 16 gets an automatic berth IF they also finish ahead of the champion of any of the 6 BCS conferences, if say, Michigan beats Ohio State.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are close enough to Oregon now that if they beat Missouri and Oklahoma, they will definitely pass them in the computer rankings and I would think the voters would give the Jayhawks the nod too. If there is only one undefeated BCS team, then the voters will put them in the championship game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If they go undefeated (only bcs conference school), and finish out with wins over Missouri and Oklahoma with everybody in the country watching then I would be willing to bet a body part they get in.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can KU finish undefeated and not make the national championship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since that means beating Missouri and Oklahoma, I would say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could easily happen if Oregon & LSU win out...don't see how you can say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of poeple debating whether Kansas can win out, but I have not seen anyone arguing against Kansas getting to the NC game if the do. Think about.

Kansas already has a better computer average than Oregon, and they (if they win out) play #4 Mizz and #5 Oklahoma. Imagine what that will do to the polls and the computer ave.

Oregon doesn't play a top 40 team from here on in, plus they have a loss.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 PM

I think the more interesting situation for the BCS is if Mizzour or OU win out will they jump over Oregon. I don't think Missouri can but Oklahoma is more tough to say. I could see that going either way and a lot will depend on how big the wins are and how that affects human polls.

A big problem for Oregon is that right now we have a fair number of first-place votes. People putting Oregon - LSU - OU and switching to LSU - Oregon - OU will hurt the ducks. It's going to be very tough for voters picking Oregon now at #1 to stay on Oregon if LSU beats Georgia, Tennessee or Florida in the SEC title game.

I just did some calculations and if Oregon's #1 votes in the human polls were switched to #2s then they would have a BCS average of .9327 for a difference of .0056. Nebraska got in over Colorado in 2001 (not that either deserved to be in [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] ) with a smaller gap.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:02 PM

Most intriguing: Oregon, LSU, and KU all win out. Miles campaigns against the Pac 10. Belotti's wife throws a fit.

Also intriguing: Oregon, LSU, and Oklahoma or Missouri win out.

As long as 3 of the top contenders win out, it will be fun to watch. I don't think the other teams (ASU/OSU/WVU) will get as much sympathy for being left out as Oregon or a Big XII champ, or LSU.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:21 PM

undefeated Big 12 champ should get in over any one-loss team. Also, I think Mizzou winning out should get them in the national championship. I don't think you can say the same for OU. Ugh, if this plays out as expected, the need for a +1 system becomes even more painfully apparent.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the WAC have a money-sharing arrangement? I know the Big 10 splits all the bowl revenue equally.