Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Nutritional Supplements

i dont think its as important in women, since in men zinc deficiency causes lowered test levels. i still cant see it being bad for women, but im not sure if theyre rec daily intake is as high

-Mike
Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zinc is important for energy levels and everyone I've reccomended zinc too notices a large increase in sleep levels

[/ QUOTE ]

women too or just men or don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

women need a lot less zinc then men, so if they eat red meat 2 times a week then should be fine.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
women need a lot less zinc then men, so if they eat red meat 2 times a week then should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

curious mostly about the sleep/seditive effect if there is any.

mag/zinc really zonked me out at first, increased rem, but the effect seemed to quickly taper off. I mean, I'm a guy, I'm just wondering if zinc would have a sleep effect for girlfriend.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

curious mostly about the sleep/seditive effect if there is any.

mag/zinc really zonked me out at first, increased rem, but the effect seemed to quickly taper off. I mean, I'm a guy, I'm just wondering if zinc would have a sleep effect for girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that their is any "magical" property about the zinc/magnesium combination that supplement companies market.

The reason this supplement has an effect on people is that literally everyone is defeciet in it IMO. The RDI's for most nutrients are basically set to the minimum for people to live (for example the RDI for vitamin C is only 40mg to fight off scurvy, but benefits are seen upwards of 500mg).

So what I'm trying to say is that the reason people experience a better sleep from taking a zinc/mag supplement is really just bringing their sleep to a normal level, not impoving it beyond "normal". A lot of people don't realise that which is why companies are ripping people off. Your gf can try supplementing with zinc and see if it helps, but I doubt it would. A lot of things can effect the quality of sleep some body gets, the main one being NOT sleeping at a regular time every day of the week

sorry for the long winded reply
Old 11-17-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that their is any "magical" property about the zinc/magnesium combination that supplement companies market.

The reason this supplement has an effect on people is that literally everyone is defeciet in it IMO. The RDI's for most nutrients are basically set to the minimum for people to live (for example the RDI for vitamin C is only 40mg to fight off scurvy, but benefits are seen upwards of 500mg).

So what I'm trying to say is that the reason people experience a better sleep from taking a zinc/mag supplement is really just bringing their sleep to a normal level, not impoving it beyond "normal". A lot of people don't realise that which is why companies are ripping people off. Your gf can try supplementing with zinc and see if it helps, but I doubt it would. A lot of things can effect the quality of sleep some body gets, the main one being NOT sleeping at a regular time every day of the week

[/ QUOTE ]

not really sure, BUT, my personal experience was that I just took the magnesium pill and zinc pill out of my daily rattler (bottle that has my daily dose of vitamin pills and stuff) that I take after lunch or dinner, and instead took them right before bed.

and for a couple/few days it really increased rem and sleeping, but then the effect seemed to taper off.

so not sure exactly what is up with that. could be what you say though cause I take mag every day, but not the zinc every day.

btw, the reason I don't take the zinc every day is cause I read you got zinc/copper balance and if you take zinc you can get deficient in copper cause copper/zinc absorbed at same place in intestine or something.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not really sure, BUT, my personal experience was that I just took the magnesium pill and zinc pill out of my daily rattler (bottle that has my daily dose of vitamin pills and stuff) that I take after lunch or dinner, and instead took them right before bed.

and for a couple/few days it really increased rem and sleeping, but then the effect seemed to taper off.

so not sure exactly what is up with that. could be what you say though cause I take mag every day, but not the zinc every day.

btw, the reason I don't take the zinc every day is cause I read you got zinc/copper balance and if you take zinc you can get deficient in copper cause copper/zinc absorbed at same place in intestine or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I take my zinc pre bed (I have a seperate calcium/mag sup so don't really need more mag). I do notice a better sleep as well, but haven't experimented with taking zinc at other times during the day (but largely because zinc is best absorbed on an empty stomach/low calcium meal).

and yep, your right about excess levels of zinc causing copper deficiency's and vice versa...but notice i said excess. 30mg a day for a healthy male should be fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw I'm almost finished in a dietics/exercise science degree so I'm not just talking out of my ass. Amateur bodybuilder too (at a height of 5"6' [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Im going to answer this question assuming you are talking about an active male(works out regulary) over the age of 18. I could name over 150 things you SHOULD take, so many things in nature we could benefit from takng, but here are the basics,and what i take.

1. EFA's
2. branch chain amino acids(BCAA)
3.Vit C/r-ALA (taken at the same time)
4.A once a day multi vitamin(natures bes is cheap)
5. Tongkat ali (not essential but is Known to increase testosterone levels and libido
(you can look into tribulus terrestris and ZMA for added effects of tongkatali)

You can look into a product called animal pack, or i know GNC has a megaman pack that is supposed to cover all bases for men, things like prostate,liver,heart etc support
but they can be overpriced
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 PM

Zinc can cause other supplements and meds not to be absorbed properly, so should be taken separately.

Sam-e is an interesting supplement, it definitely has effect on mental acuity. It seems to have interaction with intoxicants though, causing you to get maybe a little drunker, and weed will hit you a lil harder if you're taking it. It is quite pricey though and has freshness issues, it breaks down quickly. Don't buy super cheapo off brands as they are generally ineffective.

http://www.raysahelian.com/sam-e.html
Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 AM

Why do we need any suppliments at all? If you are eating a balanced diet, with red meat, some fish and a whole pile of different vegetables etc, surely we should be getting everything we need?

I'm just interested in hearing the other viewpoint, because everyone here seems to assume that suppliments are required.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Eating properly is necessary whether you use supplements or not. However, it's probably far less common than people suppose. And some things, like minerals, depend partially on the water supply in your particular area. Stress and exercise also increase the need for certain nutrients. Not everyone exercises, but stress is near universal in the modern world.