Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Default NL25: Set on flop, any folders?

This happened to me night before last.

Not much of a read on villain, only played 15 hands with him to this point. Hadn't been overly aggressive or loose so far (as if that is any read/tell at this point).

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $9.05
BB: $20.50
UTG: $6.00
UTG+1: $13.35
MP1: $54.40
Hero (MP2): $23.50
CO: $4.85
BTN: $24.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls $1.15, BB folds, UTG calls $1.00, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($5.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $3.00</font>, SB calls $3.00, UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls all-in for $4.80
Uncalled bet of $4.20 returned to Hero

Any way I could not call this? IS there any way I should have thrown in the towel earlier? There's only 2 hands that beat me here, KJ and JJ, but too many possibles to put him on without knowing his play that he might make that move with ... or am I completly off?

Results in white:

<font color="white">Turn: ($23.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($23.85) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $23.85 ($1.15 Rake)

SB had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a full house, Jacks full of Kings) and WON (+$13.65)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Kings) and LOST (-$9.05) <font color="white"> </font>

Thanx for any input.
btw: How do you guys do the white out thing of the hand results in your posts?

good day
timo
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: NL25: Set on flop, any folders?

You're joking right?

I might have led rather than c/r since it is multiway so I really want to make sure there is no free turn. Other than that, getting all-in with the shortish stacks with 3 kings ace kicker is a good result.

Preflop, anyone consider pushing as a 4 bet, or is the likelyhood of BTN having Kings or Aces too great here???
Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 PM

You don't have a set. Never fold this. People love their KQ. Also seeing that you don't have the Ac, he can have ATcc or AQcc. Also raising to $.75 after a limper is stupid.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM

I would reraise the button to 4$ and fold to shove. Leading this flop is better than check-raising?

Also raise preflop 1.25$ atleast. 0.75$ is donk-move.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have a set. Never fold this. People love their KQ. Also seeing that you don't have the Ac, he can have ATcc or AQcc. Also raising to $.75 after a limper is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, raise should have been bigger. I did realized that right after I made it (that happens way too often - gives me something to work on).
Apoligies for the lil mistake. I was under the impression that a set and trips are the same, but while they are essentially the same, they really are not [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Another things I learned.

But is there any way you guys would put him on a hand that could beat you? Or does it even matter in this case, wouldn't I have to call his rather small all-in either way (well, not if I actually knew his cards)?
I hope you even understand what I mean.

Thanx for the input so far.

good day
timo
Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But is there any way you guys would put him on a hand that could beat you?

[/ QUOTE ] This guy only has $7.80 on the flop. There is no way you can even consider folding here. Even if he had a full stack, after you raise to $12 there is no way you can fold.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 PM

You flopped trips, not a set and get it in.... now...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM

I don't think villain is 3 betting PF with K-J. I agree that your raise is low, but the button's is just awful, though I HAVE seen people at NL10 make this kind of raise with AA pre-flop. I agree that betting $4 on the flop is good. Calling the raise is pretty standard, IMO.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't I have to call his rather small all-in either way (well, not if I actually knew his cards)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say that the sb started the hand with your starting stack (23.50). You'd be getting 4.14:1 on your call after your raise to $12 meaning you need 19.4% equity to call. Against Jacks on this board AK has 22.9% equity. So even if you knew what his cards were after you raise you'd have to call his push.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But is there any way you guys would put him on a hand that could beat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

We play against ranges of hands our opponent might have, not one. Adding this to your thought process alone will vastly improve your play.