Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: What happens to the $210?

Couldn't help noticing that Ray Zee is member #6, and Rick Neibolo is member #88.

Sometimes Brick & Mortar is like old home week.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although he said call, the action which wound up being forced on his hand was a fold. He hadn't put the money in, the dealer took his hand and killed it the same as if he HAD said fold, therefore I can't see how he should now be forced to put the $ in. Although his hand was unprotected, several people did hear the verbal statement of "call," which means the dealer killed his hand in error. Now if he's going to pay the $210 he should by rights be allowed to draw at his outs with a live hand. But, since his hand is dead and cannot be retrieved, he should not have to put in the $$

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep coming back to this line in Ricks's story:

"Opponent now exclaims that he said “call”. The players on his side of the table agree."

Why is it Rick's fault that his opp didn't protect his hand? This is a 5/10 game we're taking about, not some 1/2 game. At 5/10 level you are expected to know the rules and to know a simple thing as protecting your hand when next to the dealer and the importance of capping your cards. This shouldn't need to be explained so I have very little sympathy for someone like this. Plus, he lied about his straight flush draw and Rick showed the table his hand to prove that his opp was lying (and if he had A2s his money would have been in the pot immediately. I don't see how it serves any good purpose to let a guy off the hook when he tells you he called but didn't protect his hand. Maybe the room should pay the guy the $210 if they feel their dealer made such a huge mistake?

Rick, was this at the bike?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10 capped $400 buy-in = not at the Bike. Probably Hollywood Park or Commerce.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:44 PM

5/10 Capped at $400 was Commerce exclusive, I thought. HP spreads thaty horrible restricted BI as well?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the capped $400 in his post. Maybe that changes my opinion of the type of players in the game (no offense Rick).
Old 06-17-2007, 01:28 PM

The game isn't capped at $400. It's a capped buy-in game (Rick doesn't say what the cap is), but Rick only has $400 in front of him because of some restriction on re-buys.

I don't see how there can be a ruling that doesn't give Rick the pot without the other guy's $210 call.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't help noticing that Ray Zee is member #6, and Rick Neibolo is member #88.

Sometimes Brick & Mortar is like old home week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the two times we met Ray's a geezer far as I can tell but at 53 I still get stares from the hot youngger woman around 35 to 40 years old. Unfortunately the "stares" are usually looks of annoyance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

~ Rick
Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the capped $400 in his post. Maybe that changes my opinion of the type of players in the game (no offense Rick).

[/ QUOTE ]

This could also take place at Hawaiian Gardens. Although the 5/10 game there is a $500 fixed buy you have to be below $250 (could be wrong here) to add another $500.

At Hollywood Park and Commerce you have to be below $200 to add $400 and can re-buy $600 if down to the felt.

~ Rick
Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, he lied about his straight flush draw and Rick showed the table his hand to prove that his opp was lying (and if he had A2s his money would have been in the pot immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call it a "lie", it was more like a fish story meant to aid in getting a better ruling. If he had a 8s7d he would have a straight draw (albeit a gut-shot), a flush draw (albeit to eight high), and I guess a pair draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the room should pay the guy the $210 if they feel their dealer made such a huge mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO a smoothly run poker game is a team effort. If the room made the decision to give me the $210 and compensate the player it doesn't encourage the players to act and speak clearly.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't be as mentioned elsewhere.

~ Rick

PS I'm just getting back into posting after getting a replacement machine working well using Vista (my other machine burnt up). Had a more detailed response written under IE7 then called Dad for Father's Day and when I tried to post it after I got the "form is no longer valid" message and lost my work (second time this week). I like IE7 for general browsing but will stick to Firefox for posting; Firefox never does this.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 Capped at $400 was Commerce exclusive, I thought. HP spreads thaty horrible restricted BI as well?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hollywood Park has almost exactly the same structure and re-buy rules as the Commerce. They both have the "add $400 if under $200" re-buy policy and re-buy $600 when down to the felt. I think Hollywood is the only one that allows a table change with between the original buyin and 1.5 times the original buy-in. Daytime floor Mo came up with that one.

Oh yeah, off topic but I think the mix of restricted, spread and unrestricted buyin games in LA is action educing and necessary given the "drop all on flop" policies. My observation of the Las Vegas regular player's tendency to request bigger and bigger spreads for the small touristy NL games is a big mistake in the long run. Subject has been beat to death in other threads though (and editorialized by Mason a while back).

~ Rick