Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Default $100 NLTRN - First hand: Top pair facing 3-bet allin on the flop

First hand so no reads. Opponent is a losing player according to sharkscope. Would anyone call here?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: t1500
Hero: t1500

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t80)</font>.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t120, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t80</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in t1440</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls?</font>.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: $100 NLTRN - First hand: Top pair facing 3-bet allin on the flop

This decision should already be made prior to your flop check, which would render the check-raise option inferior b.c. you obv. have to fold. Keep the pot small first hand vs. a bad player when you know your hand can't profitably stand pressure.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This decision should already be made prior to your flop check, which would render the check-raise option inferior b.c. you obv. have to fold. Keep the pot small first hand vs. a bad player when you know your hand can't profitably stand pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're implying I should donk bet the flop and try to keep the pot small?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 PM

I hate calling raises preflop on the first hand for exactly this reason. I don't want to raise and fold against a guy and then find out a few hands later that he is a maniac.

I would fold - I think he has A9/overpair enough here in addition to draws. If he is really bad, you can probably make it up later.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're implying I should donk bet the flop and try to keep the pot small?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to fold to a raise, yes just lead and fold to a raise. If you don't want to fold to a raise, play it as you did and call. He is bet 3betting as many draws there as he is raising your lead, but you can a)get away more cheaply and b)(more importantly) introduce the play, so that you can actually use the same line for draws or big hands where you want him to raise you lead so you have carte blanche to structure the rest of the hand. In other words, showing a person that you will fold to his raises, esp. when you are OOP, is very valuable, b.c. you will know that he knows that you can fold, and thus only inflate the pots YOU want to inflate, and use the lead knowing that he will be raising an expanded range b.c. you have created an illusion that he can collect on a spread between the fold equity of his raise and your equity in the pot(this spread is the essence of bluffs). I know my explanations make zero sense, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 AM

Obviously check/call the flop, wtf?