Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 AM

Default $25 Live MTT: AJ in the BB with 7 BBs left

First time playing at this person's house and on top of that I just got moved to a new table only a few hands prior. My image is tight - the only hand I showed down was Quads and that got a lot of chatter the table I'm now at heard when I was there.

Blinds have just gone to $300/600 and I am in the Big Blind with about $4000 behind. Stacks here are mostly all larger than mine, some considerably, but nobody has a gigantic stack. We are seven-handed.

Middle position makes the standard raise to $1800. Button deliberates before calling and small blind folds. I look down and see AJ offsuit.

Options are to push, fold or call and push any flop.

Which is my best play?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: $25 Live MTT: AJ in the BB with 7 BBs left

i dont like the call and shove any flop because you are just giving two players a shot at your stack. if you push preflop there is at least a small chance that only one of the two takes a flop. I probably push here.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM

Fold. Gap principle dictates that you have to have a better hand to call an ep raise than you would need to make the ep raise. Now, you have an ep raise and call and you have a mediocre hand and will be out of position unless you push.

If you push you will probably get a call from at least one player and if they understand pot odds you will get a call from both (unless one reraises to iso). MP will be offered 3.6-1 odds(t7900 pot for a t2200 bet), button will be offered 4.6-1 odds, (t10100 for a t2200 bet).

Lastly, low M shoves work best when you have 1st in vigorish, especially against mid size stacks. Fold your hand and look for a better opportunity in the next 3-4 hands. Remember, your cards don't matter as much as being 1st in and shoving.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 AM

Many thanks for flying carpets response. My initial impression was to shove, which is one of my huge leaks.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 AM

The blinds had just gone up from $200/400 so I mentally noted that I was in all-in-or-fold mode. I saw a decent hand and pushed. It was a bad play - both people called me and checked it down after a board of blanks. EP raiser had AJ but button took it down with his unimproved AQ.

Given the fact that the flop was a eight-high rainbow, it is very possible that a stop and go would have worked here - it would have forced either villan to call $4000 with an Ace high on a raggy board.

Of course this is totally results oriented but even if I was against the kind of hand that would make this call - a pocket pair tens or worse - the results are better than pushing PF because I most likely don't get two callers so the effect is the same as a push into one oppponent and being in a race. However playing it this way I do have fold equity whereas preflop I have none.

Thoughts?