Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Bet, call, much, ruling

Hypothetical situation that has to have occured:

Two players are in the pot for the final action. Player A bets. Player B calls. Player A, evidenly bluffing, instamucks as soon as Player B says "call."

Is Player B obligated to show his hand to win the pot?

If Player B, seeing Player A muck, says something like "You muck? Okay, I win" and then mucks himself, what happens to the pot?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Bet, call, much, ruling

B shouldn't muck until he has the pot.

He could be shooting an angle here, though. He doesn't have to show.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Playe is not obligated to show his hand. He gets the pot as he was the last player with a live hand.

The house IWTSTH rule still applies as it was a called hand, but if no player asks (or if no player asks before the instamuck) then its too late.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playe is not obligated to show his hand. He gets the pot as he was the last player with a live hand.

The house IWTSTH rule still applies as it was a called hand, but if no player asks (or if no player asks before the instamuck) then its too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I've seen dealers INSIST that the only player with a live hand left show his cards to get the pot. Happened this weekend, even. Dealer asks the guy to turn over his cards despite nobody invoking IWTSTH and the kid says "I'm the only one with cards, I don't have to show". Dealer keeps the pot back and says "if you want the pot you do". He shrugs and turns 'em over. Then asks "what if I'd just mucked 'em...what could you have done?" Dealer doesn't have an answer.

Obviously the last person who had live cards has to get it. Anything else is horribly unfair, and I'd boycott any room that ever did anything else.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I've seen dealers INSIST that the only player with a live hand left show his cards to get the pot. Happened this weekend, even. Dealer asks the guy to turn over his cards despite nobody invoking IWTSTH and the kid says "I'm the only one with cards, I don't have to show". Dealer keeps the pot back and says "if you want the pot you do". He shrugs and turns 'em over. Then asks "what if I'd just mucked 'em...what could you have done?" Dealer doesn't have an answer.

Obviously the last person who had live cards has to get it. Anything else is horribly unfair, and I'd boycott any room that ever did anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

When this happens while i am dealing and a player asks me if the player has to show his hand (after the player throws his hand away), I usually ask him who he thinks should get the pot. When they can't come up with an answer I propose that the dealer gets to keep the pot, I have yet to have a single player agree with this solution.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I've seen dealers INSIST that the only player with a live hand left show his cards to get the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually the rule a FW's. The dealers only enforce it in front of the nits and after the stickler floors have "trained" them on the rule.