Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 03:40 AM

Default 5/10 stud8 a little loose vs bad vs predictable villian

seat 7 is way too loose and hates to fold, but capable of a raise if he thinks he has a good hand (which isn't always the case). i was more than happy to be in any pot he was in. seat 6 consistently overplayed big pairs.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (8.80 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (6.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (15.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (18.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises___raises

Total pot: (30.40 BB)
Old 11-21-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: 5/10 stud8 a little loose vs bad vs predictable villian

Why the check raise on 5th?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:30 AM

He didn't c/r. He re-raised and seat 6 three bet. My assumption he was trying to get value for his low hand.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 PM

why are you raising 5h vs a player you tagged as overly aggressive - you're pretty likely to get reraised and it will rarely gain you a free card. Also, you are drawing to a better low than seat 7 so you don't mind him in there.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:04 PM

i was trying to get more money in the pot against seat 7's apparent draw to an 8, as i was sure he would call. honestly, i wasn't expecting the reraise from seat 6, but i guess i should have. i also thought there was a good chance that if i caught another ace that it would be good for high, plus my backdoor possibilities.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM

I think the call on 4th is fine, the pot is quite bloated, you have a hidden 3-flush, etc. The 5th street raise is dumb; I would like it if you had a live straight draw, but here your chances of scooping are very slim.

The river is pretty interesting. You have to like your hand but what it confusing is Seat 7's play. If he had made a low on 6th he should obviously raise (which would force you to fold). One would think he had a low draw on 5th street, but you say he is very loose, so is it possible he had a different hand? The dilemma is that if he didn't have a low on 6th, then there aren't any hands he would be pumping the river with against his opponents' boards. In particular, without a low made on 6th, he cannot beat a 76 low or have an 8 high straight. While you may have won this hand, maybe even scooped, I think in general your best play is to just call the river raise and be guaranteed to collect the overcall rather than put in 4 bets and possibly come out with nothing.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:17 AM

I'll just add two things. One thing to think about is being more aggressive on 4th. I think you could lead it, or in your case, a c/r would be very interesting.

Secondly, with the way it played out, I'm not sure I want 4 bets on the river. I think I would flat call seat 7's raise, but if you think he's able to 4 bet an 8 low, nice read.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 AM

I think a call is better on fifth. I think I'd also just call the raise on the river. When you re-raise, you're basically laying 2:1 that you have the best high hand, and I don't think that you're that big a favorite.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM

"I think you could lead it, or in your case, a c/r would be very interesting."

Interesting yes .. but at a low limit with dead spades it wouldn't interest me .. the call is justified because everyone caught bad and the pot was bigger than average.