Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 AM

Default 25NL - Top Pair no good here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($12.97)
BB ($24.25)
UTG ($8.84)
MP ($48.21)
Hero ($25)
Button ($7.67)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($1.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG calls $2.

Turn: ($7.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG calls $8.84 (All-In), Hero....

Call this with no read on the villain?

My thinking here is that I should be more inclined to call him the shorter the stack he has, I'm just wondering is his stack short enough for me to make a good call here? I had to call $5.09 on the turn, with a 3 flush and board pair there...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: 25NL - Top Pair no good here?

3-betting preflop is a consideration.

On the turn, I think you should call. Villain's flop donkbet looks like a draw or weak made hand (like JJ), and, well, the most obvious draw got there, but JsJc hasn't yet.

And if Villain is playing this way with, like, AK-A9, you will win a decent chunk of the time, despite the fact that his kicker will often be a spade.

Edit: The thing about short-stacks is, they'll often play aggressively with anything they have no intention of folding. Which makes some sense, actually (they might as well take whatever folding equity they can get), but they still often play for their small stacks with a wider range of hands than they should.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 AM

stack sizes are messed up UTG starts hand with 8.84 then pushes the turn for 8.84? so somethings off there. but a would say call on the turn short stack is pushing enough hands you beat here to call IMO.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 AM

cardrunners lesson #1: don't post blinds like that!

i would 3bet preflop and be happy to get it in against a shortstack donkey.
as played raise that flop to 4 and insta call turn. i wouldn't even think about it. there's so many hands that you beat and not many that beat you!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM

Stack size is also less of a consideration for you in a cash game, you can rebuy. He could have the made flush, or AK/AJ w/ the K/Js, or as mentioned above a decent pair (TT to QQ, I would think he would have raised more w/ KK or AA). It depends on your read of him I think. His stack is short, so it may be safe to assume in a low bloind game like that he has been playing poorly, so I think I owuld call.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stack size is also less of a consideration for you in a cash game, you can rebuy. He could have the made flush, or AK/AJ w/ the K/Js, or as mentioned above a decent pair (TT to QQ, I would think he would have raised more w/ KK or AA). It depends on your read of him I think. His stack is short, so it may be safe to assume in a low bloind game like that he has been playing poorly, so I think I owuld call.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....sorry, but I was really laughing.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....sorry, but I was really laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave it the WTF more for content than the grammer. I mean I cant make fun of him for that I mispell all the time here.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 PM

If villian is pushing with about 5 bucks left, easy call, but you are beat here a lot.

IMO.

Eyes still watering.