Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM

Default I was attacked. Really weak sauce here.

I have two gym memberships. One is a harcore bodybuilding type place, the other a health club. I use the health club mainly for cardio, and the times when my gym is too crowded.

In sum, when I signed up I signed a contract saying that I would have to cancel (x) amount of days before the next billign cycle. Somewhere between then and now they changed the policy to "you must send a certified letter to the corporate office expressing your desire to cancel your membership". Has there ever been a more obvious angle shoot to get people to not cancel their membership? A certified letter to corporate? I was explaining to the lady in the office that I sat at (point at a table) this table and was told I could cancel in the manner I was attempting to cancel, and after about a minute and a half she got really pissy and handed me a card and said "i suggest you write a letter".

I dont get emotionally upset about things like this. Instead, I take a diplomatic approach and call into action my extended vocabulary. I told her in so many eloquent words that I found this new policy to be dispicable.

On my way out she says I was dispicable. I turned aroud in mid step, and my bottle of water fell from underneath my arm. It was 3/4 empty. I said "oh, I'm sorry" and the lady leapt from behind her desk and I turned immediately to walk out of the room, but before I could she picked the bottle up and hit me in the back of the legs with it. Didn't do any harm, I was already sweaty.

TBH, I know I got under her skin when I launched into my speech about ethics and the treatment of customers and how obvious this little scam of theirs was. She was steaming when I was walking out. But it was obvious I dropped the bottle of water on accident. I had a cell phone in one hand and my head phones in the other, and the cap was still on the bottle, but it popped off when it fell. I reached to pick it up in mid-apology, but she was making a bee-line for me like she was going to slap me.

After she hit me with the water, I asked her if she was aware what she just did constituted assault, as well as really poor customer service.

All this b/c they wouldnt let me cancel my membership at the ONLY gym in their "franchise".

Bottle-throwing-incident aside, What kind of BS is it to make your members cancel their membership via a certified letter to a corporate office for a gym that has one location? And especially given the fact that I signed up in the same office I was trying to cancel in, with the proper amount of (x) days notice, and they changed their policy w/o telling me until now?

I think I'm going to post this little experience on one of those consumer boards where you can make these little BS situations public to lots of people.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: I was attacked. Really weak sauce here.

Man, I was expecting a much more drama filled post when I saw TX posted this, Im dissapointed now.

get her name and number, just call up her superiors, , and act like you are a lawyer threatening to sue for damages etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I was expecting a much more drama filled post when I saw TX posted this, Im dissapointed now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've calmed down a lot.

Too busy working.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM

maybe she was flirting
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In sum, when I signed up I signed a contract saying that I would have to cancel (x) amount of days before the next billign cycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all you needed to say, they have to abide by the contract you signed, why did you let the little biatch get to you. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Do you have a copy of your contract and have you reread it just to make sure you are in the right? If so, call them up and inform them you will not be submitting a certified letter and that your phone call serves as notice for the termination of your contract. Inform them that subsequent attempts to charge your card will result in you disputing charges with your credit card company or bank.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In sum, when I signed up I signed a contract saying that I would have to cancel (x) amount of days before the next billign cycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all you needed to say, they have to abide by the contract you signed...

[/ QUOTE ]

most contracts have a clause that allows them to change any part w/o your consent nor the need to notify you.

also wtf is with it being so hard to cancle gym memberships. i had to jump thru hoops to cancel my membership at 24 hour fitness.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all you needed to say, they have to abide by the contract you signed, why did you let the little biatch get to you. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the contract also says they can change the terms at any time without any notice. That is a horrible policy however. Maybe you could contact the BBB and complain, I think you can complain about stuff that is technically legal but in poor faith.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I'm the one who got to her.

OOT I wish we could form a coalition of consumers, and anytime OOT confirmed something was BS, we all sent emails/made phone calls, making things heard.

POWER TO THE PEOPL1!!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

most contracts have a clause that allows them to change any part w/o your consent nor the need to notify you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I'm not a lawyer I'm going to go out on a limb and say "Ah, no."