Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Re: MBA finance jobs (<50 hrs / week)

[ QUOTE ]

To be frank, IMO few people who worry a lot about how many hours they are going to work WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG AND STARTING OUT become particularly successful, financially or otherwise in their fields.

Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

No flames here. Good friends in IB puts in 70-80. I'm an engineer (easy career) and I put in 50-55 plus I go to school.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Having just said that there are no good jobs out there at 40 hours a week, try contacting one of the rating agencies. Those are "lifestyle" finance jobs.

I dont agree that 70/week is sustainable long term, even if you "love" your work. For anybody over age 30, if you're able to sustain 70 hours/week, there's something seriously deficient in other areas of your life.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM

I took a job as a loan officer (sales) where I work 40 hours/week, but I'm going back to a public accounting job that I left a year ago where we work 35 hour weeks from May through December. We then work 55 hour weeks from January through April. It's capped at 55 hours, though.

If you can stand public accounting, it's a good gig that will give you plenty of free time outside of work. During work, though, you won't have much time to post on message boards and what not, at least in my experiences.