Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Short Stack Discussion

So recently I’ve been having some issues with short stackers. I typically play a 22/18 – 24/20, so open my share of pots fairly light. It seems to me that the NL100 short stack mentality is pretty much to cold call opens with a pretty wide range and CRAI with any piece against a cbet.

To combat this, I’ve begun checking flops in position whether or not I have a piece of the flop, as this typically induces a bet from them, or if they check a second time, it’s pretty much a white flag.

When out of position, I play it almost the exact same way. While this seems to work ok for me, I can’t help thinking there are far better ways to deal with short stacks. Are we really relegated to simply playing a complete pot control game if SSs are present? How do people other people deal with shortys? What do you do if you open 88 and a 30bb SS shoves behind you? 50bb? What if the SS just cold calls and the flop comes Q72?

I guess overall I’d just like to get a discussion going about the current short stack mentality and how people approach them.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Short Stack Discussion

IMO, most short stacks that I play against are typically PF shovers.

It also depends HOW short. If they are like 40bb short, it still allows for some flexibility.

I call 88 from a 30bb shove pretty quick. 50bb is closer and probably a fold, though I'm not sure why.

If a SS cold calls, I either c/r AI or just b/c with 88 on Q72r.

I definitely tone down my c-bets against short stacks. Also, another thing I do to combat shorties (usually because they suck, if they are multitabling SS, that is a different story), I raise a bit smaller PF. ie. SS is in the blind, I'll open for like $6 instead of $7-8. Or if a weak SS limps, I'll isolate for either $6 or $8. I either want to play a big pot with little decision postflop or I want to keep the pot relatively under control.

With a mid pp with decent SD value, I'll probably raise to $8, sometimes even $10 when opening. I want to build the pot up larger to shove/pot commit myself on nice flops. Or with a hand that doesnt hit as often, I'll raise smaller PF.

Also, this discussion doesnt really have to always apply to SS in general. CHecking flops in pos. with like mid pair is okay vs. aggro opponents, ones who will c/r with wide ranges and lead the turn after sensing weakness.

Checking flops oop is also an okay play, one that i'll make against overly aggro opponents.