Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Please explain to me how renter\'s insurance is so cheap....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People actually get this? I've rented for 10 years and never once thought of getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's why you get renters insurance:
I was an apartment manager several years ago. We got a call one day from a resident saying they could hear their neighbors fire alarm going off for several minutes.

We entered the apartment and no one was home. The dumb-ass had a steak in the oven broiler (550 degrees) and left their apartment. There was smoke everywhere. The steak was burnt to a crisp. We took out the steak, threw it in the sink and doused it. And turned off the oven of course.

Your neighbors are stupid and will burn your building (and all your belongings) down with their stupidity. If you don't have insurance, you're [censored]. And don't think you can sue someone who's liable for a fire (assuming you can prove negligence). You can't sue someone who has no money/assets. Odds are, if they are in an apartment, they have little anyway and they would likely file bankruptcy and you wouldn't get a penny.

Renters insurance is too cheap not to have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

B.S.

This is the exact reason my friend's apartment burned down (neighbor put food on the stove, fell asleep). She had renter's insurance. It covered fire damage. They still tried to worm their way out of paying her a dime, because insurance companies are the lowest form of scum-sucking amphibian sh|t.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:07 PM

If you have a fire and lose everything you own, you will quickly be surprised how little $16,000 in coverage is.

Gojacketz
Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM

Sure there are bad apples in every business. That's why you need to do your research and find a good, trustworthy company.

I get the feeling Privat Joker and a few others are the last people you would ever want to talk about Insurance with.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 PM

PJ,

Was your friend's insurance company one of the cheapest she could find?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 PM

I don't have renters insurance because I could go out and buy everything I want tomorrow if I come home and find my house is ashes. Maybe I couldn't replace every scrap of material goods I have acquired, but that's probably because I couldn't remember everything I have. Also I don't buy that much stuff.

I don't understand how an insurance company would give me more coverage for less if I add renters ins.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PJ,

Was your friend's insurance company one of the cheapest she could find?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv. Isn't insurance all the same?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
renters insurance is cheap because you do not ram your apartment into other apartments or park it in oakland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, but true. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People actually get this? I've rented for 10 years and never once thought of getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was an apartment manager several years ago. We got a call one day from a resident saying they could hear their neighbors fire alarm going off for several minutes.

We entered the apartment and no one was home. The dumb-ass had a steak in the oven broiler (550 degrees) and left their apartment. There was smoke everywhere. The steak was burnt to a crisp. We took out the steak, threw it in the sink and doused it. And turned off the oven of course.

Your neighbors are stupid and will burn your building (and all your belongings) down with their stupidity. If you don't have insurance, you're [censored]. And don't think you can sue someone who's liable for a fire (assuming you can prove negligence). You can't sue someone who has no money/assets. Odds are, if they are in an apartment, they have little anyway and they would likely file bankruptcy and you wouldn't get a penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

B.S.

This is the exact reason my friend's apartment burned down (neighbor put food on the stove, fell asleep). She had renter's insurance. It covered fire damage. They still tried to worm their way out of paying her a dime, because insurance companies are the lowest form of scum-sucking amphibian sh|t.

[/ QUOTE ]

PJ - is your friend based in California (I got the impression you are, based on some of your other posts). If so, then I would strongly suggest that they contact the CA Department of Insurance. They have an online link that allows you to make a complaint. Companies have to respond within 15 days or face a fine.

In this scenario, there is almost no way that this isn't covered, even for a very cheap company. This is a standard loss type, and as noted above, is exactly what renters insurance is for.

What should have happened is that the company should have paid your friend, and then subrogated against the person responsible for the fire. If they have insurance, their liability insurance will cover it. Since they likely don't, the company will either go after her assets (likely none left) or just let it drop.

If the company is trying to subrograte *before* paying your friend, that is definitely a poor claims practice and the DOI will investigate.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. There is obviously more to the story. I'm guessing your friend either cancelled for non-pay right before the loss, made a blatant material misrepresentation on the original application, or he did not complete the claim paperwork (yes-those scumsucking dregs of the earth make you itemize everything, the nerve-but you don't have to prove it with receipts or anything).

Anyways- sorry to hear you have such a bitter taste, but you should realize that you have a small sample size.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a fire and lose everything you own, you will quickly be surprised how little $16,000 in coverage is.

Gojacketz

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, if you have a fire and lose everything you own and don't have renter's insurance, you will quickly be surprised how little ZERO DOLLARS is.