Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Soon to be IRA money

What do you do with your 5k (someone said the limit was raised this year right?) that you are going to put in your IRA January 1st? I have an extra 1k/month that I invest. However I'm not sure if I should keep putting that money in the market (and take it out in a few months) or if I should just save it up for the IRA.

If I put it into an ETF I have to pay bid/ask twice (no commission due to Zecco) and then taxes on returns. If I stick it in HSBC I feel like I'm not getting enough out of my money. So what's the best thing to do with your IRA money between now and January 1st?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Soon to be IRA money

If this money depleting signifies your IRA not being full I say just sit tight on it in a high interest savings account.
Bad case scenario you lose 20% or 1k, which translates to a lifetime of missed TAX ADVANTAGED gains on that 1k. That's not a wash with the possibility of a lifetime of gains on anything you might make above the 5% savings account.

If you can stomach losing that and have the means to make up any losses in the next year and top off to the full 5k, I say go for it, throw it in an ETF until January.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 PM

I'd just online savings it until Jan 1st. Trading in ETFs = transaction costs + volatility. What if you ended up less than 5k on Jan 1st?

I think that would suck more than the short term gains you might get over the ~4-5% in online savings.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM

I have enough money in other ETFs that I could sell to get the 5k. I guess another thing is that if I throw it into an ETF that I already have money in is that if I have to sell the original shares it could generate taxes even if the money I just put in loses money right?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have enough money in other ETFs that I could sell to get the 5k. I guess another thing is that if I throw it into an ETF that I already have money in is that if I have to sell the original shares it could generate taxes even if the money I just put in loses money right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely a good point to consider. I took a look at a calendar and lo and behold we're in October. Less than 3 months at a volatile expected return of 10% compared to 4-5% just doesn't seem worth it unless you're very comfortable and accustomed to moving money around like this. Not just for risk reasons, but for bookkeeping/tax reasons, as you pointed out.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with your 5k (someone said the limit was raised this year right?)

[/ QUOTE ]It's $4k for 2007 (unless you're over 50).

It's $5k for 2008.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Cool, that's what I was thinking but I had just randomly heard it. It would definitely be 2008 money. Just trying to get it in as soon as possible so it stops being taxed.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM

I was wondering the same thing...I guess I'll just put it into FNBO Direct as I get it. My problem is double, as I will be allocating $10K, $5 for gf and $5 for myself.