Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Philosophical Question about Consciousness

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If your memories aren't making the jump what is?

[/ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would individuate your consciousness from other consciousnesses if not memories?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would individuate your consciousness from other consciousnesses if not memories?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awareness of self is not reliant on memory. Think of the instants after you wake up.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awareness of self is not reliant on memory. Think of the instants after you wake up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say awareness of self was dependent on memory. I asked what would individuate one consciousness from another if not for memories. Being self-aware could not serve as a criterion of individuation between one consciousness and another.

But it does seem that if consciousness "a" is the the same consciousness as consciousness "b" then "a" would remember the things that "b" did, thought, etc., and so genuine cases of memory could serve as a criterion of individuation for consciousnesses. At least that's the standard sort of view since Locke. I, however, think there is no non-circular way to individuate consciousnesses. (I think that individual consciousnesses are ontologically dependent on the sort of entity that they are consciousnesses of. In other words, there is no such thing as a "pure consciousness".)
Old 11-22-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Memories have meaning because 'we' experience them. That 'experiencing of something' is what consciousness is and it has nothing to do with memory. E.g. we can imagine an entity being constructed with our exact same memories, yet we still would not expect to experience what that entity experiences.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say awareness of self was dependent on memory. I asked what would individuate one consciousness from another if not for memories. Being self-aware could not serve as a criterion of individuation between one consciousness and another.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, there's really no way of judging this in entities that aren't ourselves. We can't confirm that anyone besides our self is actually conscious. But we can confirm our own consciousness (debatable?) and based on that we can speculate on what it would mean for that consciousness to be transfered.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Memories have meaning because 'we' experience them. That 'experiencing of something' is what consciousness is and it has nothing to do with memory. E.g. we can imagine an entity being constructed with our exact same memories, yet we still would not expect to experience what that entity experiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the instant the doppelganger is created I would view him as me, exactly. He's only differentiated in the time after his instant creation. Your example just duplicates me and creates another me existing in a separate, external space to me, but it doesn't disprove memories individuating consciousness.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Memory requires consciousness, and if there are such things as individual consciousnesses, then experiential memories would be a way to individuate consciousnesses and differentiate one consciousness from another, and also a way to reidentify the same consciousness over time.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Philosophy # 1: When John Doe dies, his world has ended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

[ QUOTE ]
When Jane Smith is concieved, her world has begun (out of nothingness).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the process by which consciousness evolves in a growing embryo/infant is a biological question not a philosophical one.

[ QUOTE ]
John Doe is reincarnated as Jane Smith, but without any memory of John Doe, or any physical/psychological connection to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I don’t understand; the sentence does not mean anything to me, urgently need definition of reincarnated.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the process by which consciousness evolves in a growing embryo/infant is a biological question not a philosophical one.

[/ QUOTE ]
fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I don’t understand; the sentence does not mean anything to me, urgently need definition of reincarnated.

[/ QUOTE ]

reincarnated: born anew in another body.

what makes these contrasting sentences "philosophies," as opposed to (true or false) statement of fact, is that they are two ways of thinking about the exact same thing.

from the biological perspective of your biological self - when you are dead everything is over.

from an outside perpective, the process that defines "you" continues with or without you. your consciousness was created by the process of the world, and that process will create more consciousness regardless of whether or not "you" exist. "you" isn't even real (to an outside observer). it is an abstract idea that a body applies to itself in a given moment to better accomplish its biological mission. a body's memory serves to aid it's logic, and in doing so gives the ever-changing body the illusion that it is one persistent entity.

it doesn't matter whether another body labels itself "you" or something else - its just another manifestation of the same process that "you" are part of.