Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Hand from Sunday Million

This is from memory but it is very accurate. Sorry, no hand history.

We're fairly deep into the tourney, but not near the bubble yet. Probably about 600 left, with 414 paid.

Stacks:
Hero 57,000
Villain: 40,000

Blinds are 600/1200.

Villain has not been at the table long. He has not been active, but I really know nothing else about him.

Villain open raises to 3600 from UTG+1.

Folds to me, I call in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Heads up to the flop, pot is 9000-ish.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Now what? Check-raise all in? What if it checks through and the turn blanks?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Hand from Sunday Million

Interesting hand.

I was thinking about a re-raise preflop, but stack sizes make that a bit complicated. A re raise would have to to be to like 9-10k, which would make the pot 20k, and we would now have to shove any flop if called. I think your call is alright.

On this flop, I like a check/raise all-in.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Fiksdal,

And if it checks through and the turn blanks, I dread betting and having him then put me all in. What is your plan in that scenario?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand.

I was thinking about a re-raise preflop, but stack sizes make that a bit complicated. A re raise would have to to be to like 9-10k, which would make the pot 20k, and we would now have to shove any flop if called. I think your call is alright.

On this flop, I like a check/raise all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate a rr preflop here against a UTG+1 raiser.

Check-raise is correct on the flop. He is never folding TT-AA against you but you have sufficient equity to get it in on the flop.

He is betting the flop with TT-QQ/AA and any KK that does not have a spade so if the flop checks through you could be confident that you are ahead and the turn blanks. I would go for a check shove on the turn so that we can suck in an extra bet from AK/AQ, so that we can push him off a chop with AK, and so that we have the possibility of pushing him off of 66/88.

If it checks through to the river and we miss (and the river is not a queen) I would check-call a bet
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fiksdal,

And if it checks through and the turn blanks, I dread betting and having him then put me all in. What is your plan in that scenario?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lead the turn and he pushes you should instacall
Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM

I like a re-raise preflop but I dont mind playing this for small ball at all here either, I think the re-raise puts the pressure on villian far more then you (especially if he is abservant he will know that he preety commits himself to any bet after the flop being an all-in bet, with the stacks this deep in relation to the blinds, even a tight player is going to play suited connectors and other more marginal situations if from early in an attempt to take down the blinds or draw to a big hand and stack another opponent, I think he surrenders the 3600 often enough here, and from OOP I would much rather raise then just see a flop I will only hit TP on 1 in every 3 flops with...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fiksdal,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he very often bets when we check here.

If it checks through, I probably check again on the turn unless a spade, ace or king falls.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fiksdal,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lead the turn and he pushes you should instacall

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necesarilly disagree, but could you explain your reasoning here?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 PM

I think Fiji is saying that villain would have to bet TT-AA on the flop, so if he shoves a blank turn after I lead, I can easily call getting 1.8 to 1 (and quite possibly being ahead / tied).

Is that right Fiji?

As played, well, I led for 7000 on the flop. He pushed, and I called. I had the odds against anything but a set and AA.

His hand (AA) held up.

In retrospect I see that my line forced him to play it perfectly.

I hate draws OOP [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM

I would have played it as u did except i would have c/r all in on the flop. The call preflop is optimal IMO.