Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: War Tax Resistance

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone know what the ramifications of that are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they still tax you.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can the US govt. still tax you if you leave the country and take all of yoru stuff with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could always renounce your citizenship and apply for citizenship in another country. That's about the only way to get out of it.

More power to you, if you choose to. Vaya con dios.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:40 PM

it's surprisngly hard to renounce citizenship

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2004/10/0080240
Old 10-14-2007, 02:41 PM

this is "amusing" as well, an excerpt from the US State Department, http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_776.html

E. TAX & MILITARY OBLIGATIONS /NO ESCAPE FROM PROSECUTION

Also, persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should also be aware that the fact that a person has renounced U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on his or her U.S. tax or military service obligations (contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information).
Old 10-14-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is "amusing" as well, an excerpt from the US State Department, http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_776.html

Also, persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should also be aware that the fact that a person has renounced U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on his or her U.S. tax or military service obligations (contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information).

[/ QUOTE ]

Any "social contract" theorists care to defend this?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of baiting questions like this? Since this seems the exact opposite of what they would stand for, clearly the answer is no.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah rizzle

I´m a dual citizen considering renouncing US citizenship

this sucks
Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of baiting questions like this? Since this seems the exact opposite of what they would stand for, clearly the answer is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you agree that this is unfair and unjustified? But obviously some people support such laws--or else they never would have been enacted in the first place. And doesn't the social contract require acceptance/ acquiescence to duly enacted laws, even if you disagree with them?

My argument, as hinted at by the "baiting" question, is that government does not rule via a social contract with its citizen equals, but rather is simply the biggest gang of criminals, a la Mancur Olson's theory of third world poverty. Such laws reinforce my views.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also interesting is paragraph F which states that parents cannot renounce on behalf of their children, and that a child (under 18) that wants to renounce must demonstrate "full understanding" of the nature of the act, whatever that means. It also implies that it is impossible for children under 14 to have "full understanding".

My question to the social contract people is at what point does the purported signing of the social contract take place? It seems like if there is an age at which people are deemed incapable of renouncing the contract then surely they are also incapable of "signing" it at that same age. I wish somebody had let me know beforehand at what age I was going to suddenly, implicitly, (magically?) consent to this contract so I could have tried to avoid it.

Apparently children are property of the state after all.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Easy....

[ QUOTE ]
Hi I am wondering about this topic. What are the options for somebody who strongly opposes the war in Iraq and doesn't want to support it by paying taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Quit your job.
2. Get on the govt dole.
3. Father 20 children with 20 different women
This way instead of paying taxes to support the war, taxes will be used to support your new lifestyle.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Easy....

[ QUOTE ]
So you agree that this is unfair and unjustified?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naturally.

[ QUOTE ]
But obviously some people support such laws--or else they never would have been enacted in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably your stumbling block right here.

[ QUOTE ]
And doesn't the social contract require acceptance/ acquiescence to duly enacted laws, even if you disagree with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we have acquiescence now, it's just passive as opposed to active (mostly out of ignorance).

[ QUOTE ]
My argument, as hinted at by the "baiting" question, is that government does not rule via a social contract with its citizen equals, but rather is simply the biggest gang of criminals, a la Mancur Olson's theory of third world poverty. Such laws reinforce my views.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US government is indeed a large gang of criminals with a few decent men/women surrounding them. I have no idea what this has to do with social contract theory.