Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Weird spot with friend and possible jailtime

I wouldn't trust a kid who stole $6,000 to pay me back. Also, it's kind of a dick move on your friends part to put you in the spot by even asking.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 AM

Is this something common? Since when do you get a time limit to repay stolen goods before you go to jail? Especially 6k?

If not, as I said, it sounds like a scam.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't trust a kid who stole $6,000 to pay me back. Also, it's kind of a dick move on your friends part to put you in the spot by even asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. It's a squeeze play. Fold.

Edit: Kurosh is probably right. Poker players make great targets for scams like these. Anyway, what I know about some cashier thieves, they would steal from anyone, and absolutely wouldn't pay back large sums to their friends.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:00 AM

Hmmm, is there anyway you could write up a contract where he would have to pay you back something like 9k for your risk?

Or, couldn't he just take a loan out at the bank? To avoid jail I am sure he can find 6k somewhere somehow.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 AM

I think you already know the answer and just wanted assurance. Under no circumstances should you even consider doing this. The whole manner how this went down makes it a clear no, he steals 6 grand from the place where he works and really thinks he wouldn't get caught. Then another mutual "friend" asks you to bail him out cuz he knows you play poker (and he was prolly put up to it by the guy who did it, no?). I've clamped down way hard on giving/lending money to "friends" who assume just cuz I play poker that I don't mind flinging it around to them all the time for anything. I wouldn't even consider it for this.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right. It's a squeeze play. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread saved
Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't trust a kid who stole $6,000 to pay me back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. The guy has already proven himself to be a thief...and now the OP is going to hand him $6000 and expect to get paid back? Especially taking into account that the OP mentions that the guy in trouble isn't really a close friend. What possible motivation would a guy like that have to pay you back?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it's kind of a dick move on your friends part to put you in the spot by even asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my guess is that the intermediary is laying on the guilt pretty thick, which is why the OP is even considering it. I'd be inclined to break off a friendship with someone like this. If he was a true friend, he wouldn't be putting the OP in a spot like this.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the [censored] do his parents not bail him out here? The fact that this obvious route wasn't mentioned makes me doubt he is a good kid. I mean ffs any working person should be able to get a 6k loan right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a pretty good relationship with my parents (at least I think?). However, I know for a fact that they would not bail me out of a situation like this, and I wouldn't even dream about asking nor expect them to do so.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Ya I obviously told him no, but said I'd think about it and that I felt bad (pretty much a lie). I just felt kind of douchey refusing to help a kid when I'm his only friend that can.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this something common? Since when do you get a time limit to repay stolen goods before you go to jail? Especially 6k?

If not, as I said, it sounds like a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this correct. Also if he was good he wouldn't steal that money. Why do you care if somebody you don't know goes to jail for stealing? He should go to jail; give away your money if you want though.