Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em study group

[ QUOTE ]
one thing though i've noticed is no one calls potsized bets on the flop (maybe too small of a sample size).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! What a goldmine.
Changes a bit at .5-1 FWIW.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Got it from amazon.com rather quickly. Way earlier than the promised delivery date. I live in the Netherlands. So you'd expect the book to be shipped from Amurka to Holland. To my surprise there was a New Zealand sticker/post stamp or something on the package. WTF????????????
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
applied concepts of the book at 25nl (cheaper than 50nl) for 7k hands. excellent. works well, especially if you are flexible. commitment stuff is very good, because i noticed in the past i would get more than 1/3 of my stack in with no plan. also SPR gives me a postflop plan - before i would just raise 4xbb with every hand i wanted to raise with no postflop plan really. one thing though i've noticed is no one calls potsized bets on the flop (maybe too small of a sample size). so have to adjust for that. basically, the book has helped me get people all-in easier while keeping me out of my trouble postflop. i didn't expect the latter to happen because i'm pretty good with equity analysis on streets, but i think in the past i didn't see the forest for the trees and would often, with no plan, have like 40% of my stack in (say, on the turn) before i realized what was happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome derosnec, thanks for the trip report.....keep us posted.....

fwiw, I'd love to see a handful of winning multi-tablers try experiments like this over significant sample sizes - my feeling is that a lot of dogmas might get stomped on....
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Oh, I never figured out what "u" in uNL stands for. And I have looked in the FAQ.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 AM

one other thing about SPRs:

at 6max micros (25nl and 50nl on stars), it's really tough to get to your target SPR with overpair/top pair hands. people tighten up against bigger pf raises and it's generally heads up on the flop with normal pfr sizes. so, since the target SPRs with these hands are 2-8, at minimum you will have to raises 6xbb pf. for a SPR of 2, you will need to open for 20xbb. now, some people might find that one juicy table where this might happen (i doubt it), but for us multitablers, we often have to sit at tables with 3 or 4 tight/semi-tight players and one fish. it's going to be somewhat rare to hit our target SPRs with those hands. this will probably work better at full ring and live games, where in my short venture in those games, i have found that they limp/call pretty much anything.

i'm not detracting from the SPR concept, becaue it is very helpful and has kept me out of alot of trouble, just saying that with top/overpair hands, it will be a bit tough to hit the target SPRs with KK/AK/AQ/AJ type of hands (i excluded AA, QQ-JJ because they tend to play well at most SPRs).
Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
one other thing about SPRs:

at 6max micros (25nl and 50nl on stars), it's really tough to get to your target SPR with overpair/top pair hands. people tighten up against bigger pf raises and it's generally heads up on the flop with normal pfr sizes. so, since the target SPRs with these hands are 2-8, at minimum you will have to raises 6xbb pf. for a SPR of 2, you will need to open for 20xbb. now, some people might find that one juicy table where this might happen (i doubt it), but for us multitablers, we often have to sit at tables with 3 or 4 tight/semi-tight players and one fish. it's going to be somewhat rare to hit our target SPRs with those hands. this will probably work better at full ring and live games, where in my short venture in those games, i have found that they limp/call pretty much anything.

i'm not detracting from the SPR concept, becaue it is very helpful and has kept me out of alot of trouble, just saying that with top/overpair hands, it will be a bit tough to hit the target SPRs with KK/AK/AQ/AJ type of hands (i excluded AA, QQ-JJ because they tend to play well at most SPRs).

[/ QUOTE ]

good observations....I hope that (along with the other adjustments you make to deal with what you say above) you are adjusting by making big pf raises with a lot of hands - sounds like it'd be super profitable in these games....
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I never figured out what "u" in uNL stands for. And I have looked in the FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the Greek letter 'mu', which of course is used to abbreviate 'micro'
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM

So when is this study group going to begin? I just got my copy from Amazon yesterday after ordering mid week prior and I'm really enjoying it so far, the basics are very easy to follow and I wish I could have had access to something this basic two years ago. I'm hoping the further concepts are as easy to grasp and apply as the beginning is.

Can't wait to participate in this study group, so when is it going down?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 AM

Finished reading the book this weekend. Great format, easy to read. Regardless of any minor typos or mistakes, it was very informative and the style of writing didnt make me want to fall asleep. I grasped the idea behind the driving force of SPR, but I still had some questions. Your starting the study group this week, iirc?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM

i just got the book, and am interested in joining the study group.