Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 AM

Default If you had the super-power to...

Either secretly see everyone else's cards at the table, or know the exact cards that are coming on the flop, turn and river, which super power would you choose?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: If you had the super-power to...

so obviously the first choice that this should not be a thread. how are you supposed to make a mistake with perfect knowledge?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so obviously the first choice that this should not be a thread. how are you supposed to make a mistake with perfect knowledge?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that easy. In neither case do you have perfect knowledge.

If you know your opponents cards you know if you are ahead, you know if you are drawing dead and the exact number of outs you have and they have, but as you do not know what cards come on the turn and river, they could still outdraw you.

If you know which cards will come, you'll know preflop if you can make any hand at all and can therefore fold AA if you know 4 to a flush will come on the board in other suits that your AA.

The real question is which will you like to have, if you are heads up against a player who has got the other power.

You know that he has got AA and that he knows which cards will come, can you then call his bet? He might be bluffing?
You might know he has 72o but he is raising? You are a clear favorite, but does he know that 3 deueces or sevens are coming?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea it is
Old 05-25-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The real question is which will you like to have, if you are heads up against a player who has got the other power.

[/ QUOTE ]
I played this game with a friend, pot limit

I could see his hand, he could see the board. From memory he quit pretty quickly
Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 AM

the 1st one obviously. seeing the other persons hole cards means you always know 100% if you are in front or not. Seeing the community cards in advance only means you can guess youre ahead. even if you are behind on the flop, if you know the other persons hand you can probably get them off it most of the time
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 AM

I would think that, because you don't often hit huge monster hands with flops, seeing the rest of the board wouldn't matter as much as seeing the other person's cards.

If I would see the other person's cards, I would have such an advantage (we're assuming he doesn't know I can see them) that I would just play small pots all day with him (unless he had a 2nd best hand that I knew he couldn't lay down).

Example:

He has 72o, I have AA.

He sees that the flop will bring 772.

I see that he has 72o.

He raises me. I call (I'll explain later).

The flop is 772. He checks. I check. The turn is nothing, he bets. I fold. Simple.

As to why I would simply call pre-flop...I don't need to reraise him. I will always know how far ahead I am because I'll always know the strength of his hand. I'll have such an advantage that I'll simply not ever have to get it all in pre-flop the entire time I play him. Even if I don't know that he sees the rest of the board.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Good analysis so far guys, I knew eventually someone would give a straight answer.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this stack-size dependent? In a HU short-stack NL game, knowing the board may be a bigger advantage, if you're expected to be all in most of the time preflop something like push with two-pair or better (or some equivalent thereof, adjusting for board texture) plus bluffs may not be beatable given a small enough stack size.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this stack-size dependent? In a HU short-stack NL game, knowing the board may be a bigger advantage, if you're expected to be all in most of the time preflop something like push with two-pair or better (or some equivalent thereof, adjusting for board texture) plus bluffs may not be beatable given a small enough stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]so maybe knowing the board is better in this EXACT situation, but its not like knowing their hand will be much worse. and people, stop comparing 2 players, one with each ability, playing each other because it messes up the analysis.

knowing hole cards is 100x better. end of story.