Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Upcoming soccer matches

Have a bunch of people visiting over the next few months so I am trying to narrow down my favorite places to eat, drink, and go out. Starting now with my favorite places for dinner so I figured I'd post it here as well.

<u>Tandoor</u>

Easily the best Indian food in town in my opinion. Just opened a few months ago and before this place opened I used to go to Katmandu on Cordoba which isn't bad either. There is a chicken dish here that is a family recipe and while not spicy is possible the most delicious Indian dish I've ever eaten. There is also a host of really good, spicy dishes as well. Dishes are around $9-11 US.

Laprida 1293 (esq. Charcas) in Barrio Norte - Ph: 4821-3676

<u>Olsen</u>

There is a sister restaurant to Olsen in Madrid by the same name, but in my experience it wasn't quite as good and was obviously more pricey. This place serves delicious Scandinavian food with probably the best fish I've ever eaten in this town. A combination of vodka/open-faced sandwiches makes the perfect starter. Reservations are recommended especially for large groups. They have a Sunday brunch that I've yet to try but is supposed to be delicious as well. Dishes are in the same approx. $10 US range as most of the other restaurants I'll list.

Gorriti 5870 (esq. Carranza) in Palermo - Ph: 4776-7677

I'll add more to this post later, right now have to go have dinner at Tandoor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 AM

I'll contribute with my favourite places to eat in Baires:

- Kansas: maybe a typical steak house for most americans but a great restaurant overall. aprox 35-40 pesos per person (Palermo and Martinez)

- Sapporo Sushi: the best quality/price sushi IMO. They have all you can eat sushi for 55 pesos (could be 65, not sure). Their rolls are excelent. (Palermo)

- El vasquito: the best empanadas I ever had (Almagro)

- Felix Restaurant: this place has been around for years....it's one of the best restaurants in the country but it's not very well known. their wine list is astonishing. (avellaneda)
Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Was just at Kansas, has about the best ribs I've ever had. Meat fell off the bone.
Be advised, on weekends there will be a wait, even if you get there at 9:30. and you can't make reservations.

Other places I like include:

Amarillo Sonoridad (Palermo Hollywood): Good arab food. If you go, the place looks closed, but it is not...just keep buzzing the bell.

Miranda (Palermo Hollywood): The regular Argentine food, but a more expanded menu.

Empire Thai (MicroCentro): Very good Thai food..was good to have something different.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Ugh,

Kansas is pretty awful. It's the very thing I pretty much hate about this city. I guess if you have this undying need for food from the USA it is fine, but meh. I try to avoid going here ever if possible. I definitely wouldn't recommend someone visiting for a week eat at Kansas as one of their meals in this city when there is soooo much better food offered here.

Empire Thai isn't good Thai. It's serviceable but that doesn't qualify as good food. Maybe it is because I am coming from Lotus of Siam in Vegas as a reference point but it just can't even compete.

Tandoor, on the other hand, is as good if not better than any Indian food I ever found in the states. On to more:

<u>Tandoor</u>

Easily the best Indian food in town in my opinion. Just opened a few months ago and before this place opened I used to go to Katmandu on Cordoba which isn't bad either. There is a chicken dish here that is a family recipe and while not spicy is possible the most delicious Indian dish I've ever eaten. There is also a host of really good, spicy dishes as well. Dishes are around $9-11 US.

Laprida 1293 (esq. Charcas) in Barrio Norte - Ph: 4821-3676

<u>Olsen</u>

There is a sister restaurant to Olsen in Madrid by the same name, but in my experience it wasn't quite as good and was obviously more pricey. This place serves delicious Scandinavian food with probably the best fish I've ever eaten in this town. A combination of vodka/open-faced sandwiches makes the perfect starter. Reservations are recommended especially for large groups. They have a Sunday brunch that I've yet to try but is supposed to be delicious as well. Dishes are in the same approx. $10 US range as most of the other restaurants I'll list.

Gorriti 5870 (esq. Carranza) in Palermo - Ph: 4776-7677

<u>Bereber</u>

Very, very good Moroccan food. It may border on fusion, but I'm not incredibly familiar with Moroccan food. You can get some of the dishes decently hot, but nothing super spicy. The abra is possibly my favorite single dish in the city, in close competition with that green chicken family thing at Tandoor. They also have a large cocktail menu which I've found to be somewhat rare for this city. Very nice place.

Armenia 1880 (esq.Nicaragua) in Palermo Soho - Ph: 4833-5662

<u>Green Bamboo</u>

This place is imo definitely a Vietnamese fusion restaurant but it is still incredibly delicious. I had some chicken dish here (I suck with remembering names) that was just out of this world. The food here is available somewhat spicy if that is your thing. Definitely recommended.

Costa Rica 5802 (esq. Carranza) in Palermo - Ph: 4775-7050

Probably have 3-4 more that will make my top list. These are in no particular order but just the ones I intend to take people visiting too during their time here. Going to add in 2 traditional argie places next time.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

I'd have to agree Empire Thai is servicable to a little better than that. Not a place I would go to often in the US, but for here it is good to have something different.

On Kansas, yes I would not advise somebody coming here for a week to go there as it would be stupid to go to a US type place when visiting.
But if you live here, want good ribs, maybe want to show an argentine girl some US food, then it is a good place to go.
That is pretty funny though, it is actually the very thing you hate about here?

I'm definitely checking out Tandoor soon, thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is because I am coming from Lotus of Siam in Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A must for everyone's next LV trip.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 AM

I now remember that Kansas does in fact have good Nachos which is the one thing that seems impossible to find in this city. Next time I'm there, I'll consider the ribs seeing as how you speak of it.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:56 AM

ok Met,

I'm sold on Tandoor. It's better then Katmandu. I'm not willing to say much better but it's better. I will say still though that the naan is better at Katmandu. Other then that, the main dishes are without a doubt better at Tandoor. The other thing is that I really have been to a ton of restaurants in this city. If people would like that we all start writing up restaurant reviews I wouldn't mind it. I could do a couple at a time.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 PM

Don't forget to watch one of the best football rivals in the sport tomorrow!

Boca Juniors vs River Plate, starts at 2! It's going to ridiculous!

(There was a article in a london paper that gave 10 things one must do before death, and watching a boca/river game was like #8)
Old 10-06-2007, 02:43 PM

what is the real estate market like down there? like buying some land/house on the outskirts of the city.. what is like avg price