Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Starting a new PT Database for psychological reasons.

So I've run at well over 3bb/100 for my 1st 50k hands at 3/6 6m, but in my past 5k hands of this stretch, i hit a rough -250bb spot. After posting some stats, asking if anyone can help me identify some leaks, I had it pointed out to me i was open-limping far too often. During my 2nd month of full-time poker, i have just now learned how much of a fundamental error Open-limping was. I'm a 26/16/2.5, but i know that i was Open-limping WAY too much, getting myself into tough spots, and feeling lost on where i went wrong.

And now i feel guilty that i even quit my job to play poker, when i now realize i was so fundamentally weak (Preflop atleast).

I want to start a new Pokertracker database to give myself a fresh start. It kinda makes me sick that i can look back on 2 monthes of hands and see some big mistakes in my pre-flop game, which undoubtedly led to some inferior post-flop situations.

Is there any reason i shouldn't start a new database? I can always combine databases down the road, correct? Maybe I'm just being anal, but I feel this would give me a well-needed fresh start, psychologically and strategically.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Starting a new PT Database for psychological reasons.

Not be a bad idea. When i have a horrible run, i often hide the Excel loss column for a week while i start "fresh". Then i unhide them after i post a few win results. I think this helps me not go on tilt.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:36 PM

I've done this several times. No way to know how well it works, but it seems to keep me from crazy donkey tilt until I've run well enough to combine the two databases back again.

Or you could just show hands from today onward. I've done that too.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 PM

sounds like a good idea, start a new database but just keep the old data. You can put the data back together when youre running good
Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 AM

start a new database, dont start a new database... who cares. Just dont open limp and check raise the monkeys.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:33 AM

How do we combine the databases...I've got quite a few that I want to combine, I'm just to lazy to look at the PT website.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 AM

There are statistical as well as psychological reasons to at least filter out old hands from your results. As your playing style evolves old data will overwhelm "new style" data and you wont get a true picture of your play.

Also to the extent that you use PT to evaluate your image, more recent results more accurately reflect your current opponents view of you unless you face the same opponents repeatedly, and if you are relying on old data you wont have the same image of yourself that they have.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:52 PM

I start new PT databases often.

I get fresher stats on my opponents that way.

After all, I don't care about their lifetime stats, I want to know how they are playing NOW.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are statistical as well as psychological reasons to at least filter out old hands from your results. As your playing style evolves old data will overwhelm "new style" data and you wont get a true picture of your play.

Also to the extent that you use PT to evaluate your image, more recent results more accurately reflect your current opponents view of you unless you face the same opponents repeatedly, and if you are relying on old data you wont have the same image of yourself that they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just use the "show stats since date..." function. No need to start a new database. I know I used to be worse and am fine with that.