Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Wife offers deal

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, for anyone who's married, I'd advise using 3 checking accounts, a joint one for bills and such, and separate accounts for each of you for your own stuff. It's not so much that you have your "own" money, or that you're trying to hide purchases you make, it's just that a lot of trouble can be avoided if you aren't pouring over every little purchase that the other person makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise against this advice and make all fiscal decisions together. But I know others like it this way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that the middle account is appropriately seeded to fund all bills/savings/etc, why in the WORLD do you want to have to explain your $70 round of golf, or worry about her $120 shoes, or try to explain why you need money to fund your br?

my golf/poker/jiggly room funds come from a totally separate fund source than her shoe/clothing funds. neither of us have to miss out b/c of the other loading up. neither of us have to call the other to make sure there is $$ in the acct before purchasing.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow if this sort of thing ever happens to me somebody punch me in the face

[/ QUOTE ]
How bout I will let you fall on your face in a street in Vegas while leaving a taxi if this ever happens to you.... oh wait.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, for anyone who's married, I'd advise using 3 checking accounts, a joint one for bills and such, and separate accounts for each of you for your own stuff. It's not so much that you have your "own" money, or that you're trying to hide purchases you make, it's just that a lot of trouble can be avoided if you aren't pouring over every little purchase that the other person makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise against this advice and make all fiscal decisions together. But I know others like it this way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that the middle account is appropriately seeded to fund all bills/savings/etc, why in the WORLD do you want to have to explain your $70 round of golf, or worry about her $120 shoes, or try to explain why you need money to fund your br?

my golf/poker/jiggly room funds come from a totally separate fund source than her shoe/clothing funds. neither of us have to miss out b/c of the other loading up. neither of us have to call the other to make sure there is $$ in the acct before purchasing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because neither of us make purchases that are unnecessary. And there is always money in the account. And having/managing 3 bank accounts in retarded IMO.

Having 3 accounts can also lead to jealously issues (e.g. If she makes more than me and we both contribute the same amount to the "shared" account, she always has more money than me and I am always broke). That doesn't sound like love to me. But as I said, some like it one way others like differently.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM

I think it shows all the young guys how much a factor money becomes in your marriage. I'd wish for everyone to understand this ahead of time & make sure you're on the same page as your partner, no matter how you plan to handle these issues.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it shows all the young guys how much a factor money becomes in your marriage. I'd wish for everyone to understand this ahead of time & make sure you're on the same page as your partner, no matter how you plan to handle these issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Having 3 accounts can also lead to jealously issues (e.g. If she makes more than me and we both contribute the same amount to the "shared" account, she always has more money than me and I am always broke). That doesn't sound like love to me. But as I said, some like it one way others like differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you both contribute equally to the shared account? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you both contribute equally to the shared account? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some do it that way. The other option is for each person to put 50% of his/her income into the "shared" account. However, that means 1 person is putting more $ into the shared account, which again, he/she might not see as fair and cause more jealously etc.

Edit: Of course there is another option, you each put X - Y dollars into the shared account where X is your income and Y is an amount set to be equal for both parties.

For example, she makes 2K a month, you make 3K. You each put $200 away for personal use and the rest goes to the shared account. But then you are still contributing more.

I don't know, there really is no "perfect" answer to these money questions. Just whatever works best for those invested.

Sherman
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Easiest solution:

Get a pre-nup so the bitch can't take your money no matter what.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM

We put all of our money into the shared account the pull from it equally. I make more than she does, but it's all just "our" money. I joke that she does more good in her job than I do, so she's saving our souls while I'm making the money. I agree that if you somehow equate how much one partner makes with how much they get to spend it's a recipe for disaster. We each know how much each other spends, that's not the point. The point that I'm not always having a good day, and sometimes seeing "Nordstrom's $800" is going to piss me off. I trust that she's spending money responsibly, but I don't want to see every purchase she makes. We each get different amounts of utility from different things, and what I think is worth $300 she may not. Most days I'm in a mood where I understand that, but I'd just rather not have to deal with it.

Also, love is what makes you decide to get married, not what makes the marriage succeed. It takes a lot of work and planning to keep from killing each other and to keep the relationship fun and fulfilling.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Wow, marriage sounds awful after reading this thread. So complicated.