Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Fold AA? (postflop)

This hand is from a pokerstars 5$ rebuy tournament, a little after the rebuy period. The villain in this hand seemed straighfoward and bad (called too much), but that's only based on 20 minutes of hands since the rebuy period. Table is 9 handed and blinds are 100/200. Only relevant stacks are listed.

Villain (CO) ~15,000
Button ~11,000
Hero (BB) ~11,000

PREFLOP: Folds to CO who limps, button limps, SB completes, I raise to 1,000 with black AA. CO calls, button calls, SB folds.

FLOP (POT = 3200): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I lead for 2k, CO minraises to 4k, button folds, I call.

TURN (POT = 11,200): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, CO pushes (I have 6k left), I ????

Here are my thoughts as the hand played out: Preflop needs no discussion. On the flop, when he minraises my mouth starts watering as my hand is almost always good. I was trying to figure out the best way to get all the money in and thought a push might scare off top pair type hands, so I decided to just call and let him hang himself on the turn. Also, if he is bluffing, just calling gives him a chance to fire another barrel while pushing obviously takes down the pot as is. Would anyone play flop differently? If you do 3bet all in the flop please give an explanation as to why you think it is best.

Now the turn brings another jack, basically the worst card in the deck. I vomit in my mouth a little and check (seems like the obvious play here). He thinks for maybe 3 seconds and puts me all in. A jack seems like the most likely hand here, but he could be betting the scare card with a draw or just going crazy with a mid pair. So, call or fold?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Fold AA? (postflop)

if villian is a calling station, why not raise (especially allin?)
I'd reraise flop, because I hate slowplaying overpairs.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 AM

shove the flop all day long. honestly fold turn as played I don't think Q10 plays that way and thats all you beat besides A9.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:25 AM

1) "Black Aces never lose" = call. Well, that and the fact that you just induced a bluff AND you are getting 3:1 on your money.

2) I probably push the flop after his min-raise since there' not turn I'm folding and I'd rather get his money in NOW while he's drawing or have a pair of jacks or something. Having FE is nice too. I'm pretty much NEVER upset when I win a pot without a showdown if it's 25% of my stack or bigger - and here it's BIGGER than your remaining stack
Old 09-16-2006, 12:47 AM

As played fold the turn. If you're going to call the flop you might as well push.