Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Default TAG vs LAG

Be gentle as this is my first theory/question/discussion post. I know a lot of this has been discussed before in different places, but I thought I'd add my numbers and $.02 to it.

I was discussing playing styles and win/loss records with Frond and it really got me thinking.

Background - Both Frond and I have been taking the game seriously since about the first of the year. We both play in LA. Frond plays mostly at HG, and I play 50/50 HG & Commerce. Frond plays a solid TAG game - pretty close to SSHE tight game standards by the book, probably 17% VPIP. I'm more LAGGY - My VPIP is 22% - 25%. I play SSHE loose game standards and then some.

Frond is a winning player. I don't know his BB/hour, but I would guess it's around 1bb/hour. I'm a winning player over the past 420 hours at 1.35bb/hour at 4/8.

What I found interesting was the difference that a 17% vs 22% VPIP made in Variance. (Frond - feel free to correct any of my numbers and/or assumptions)

Frond typically wins around 10bb when he wins, and loses 5bb when he loses playing mostly 4 hour sessions.

I typically win 25-50bb during a winning session and rarely lose less than 25bb during a losing session. I win in roughly 2 out of 3 sessions. (Some of my losing sessions represent my biggest leak. I could improve my overall winrate a lot if I would leave the game when I'm stuck, tired, and tilting. I hate to leave the game when I'm down.)

Frond rarely has a big win. He says that he's comfortable with the slow and steady wins and the lower variance, but is looking forward to getting hit by the deck one of these days.

I feed off of big wins. I'm happy if I finish up a rack, but don't really feel like I had a good session until I win 3+. By the same token, If I lose 2+ racks I'm never happy about it, but it doesn't get me upset.

Question #1 - Would you even consider 22-25% VPIP to be a LAG? Or am I only Slightly LAGgy

Question #2 - Are these numbers pretty typical? Do other TAGs out there have mostly small wins and smaller losses? Do other loose players have similar results to mine?

Question #3 - I can see a lot of room for improvement in my game, and yet still have a good winrate this year - Is it more profitable to play a LAG game or am I just running really well?

Question #4 - Will Frond realistically have a day where he gets hit by the deck or by playing fewer hands are you limiting the luck factor too much?

FWIW - the 4/8 at HG has a half kill - this is the game that Frond plays the most. Also FWIW, my winrate between HG 4/8 kill and Comm 4/8 is about the same.