Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: regarding the bombing of Iran...

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Iran would actually try a strike against Israel at some point, and I don't think anyone can know.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think so. i'd believe iran would attack israel for sure (+ all US targets in the area) for sure. i'd say suddenly the problem wouldn't be in iran only - just imagine the situation in iraq in case of war. syria? rising extremism in all other countries including unstable pakistan...

those who believe a sustained bombing campaign would lead the public to rise up and overthrow the government must be kidding. more likely it would increase his popularity, just as 9/11 did to bush. and again that wouldn't be within iranian borders only.

after all, did israeli attack 1981 changed anything in iraq?
[ QUOTE ]

On Crossfire two Iraqi scientists described the result of the 1981 Israeli bombing of the Iraqi reactor Osirak. They destroyed the reactor, but Saddam increased his funding of nuclear weapons ten fold and greatly accelerated the program.

...actually, what Israel [did] is that it got out the immediate danger out of the way. But it created a much larger danger in the longer range. What happened is that Saddam ordered us - we were 400... scientists and technologists running the program. And when they bombed that reactor out, we had also invested $400 million. And the French reactor and the associated plans were from Italy. When they bombed it out we became 7,000 with a $10 billion investment for a secret, much larger underground program to make bomb material by enriching uranium. We dropped the reactor out totally, which was the plutonium for making nuclear weapons, and went directly into enriching uranium.... They [Israel] estimated we'd make 7kg of plutonium a year, which is enough for one bomb. And they get scared and bombed it out. Actually it was much less than this, and it would have taken a much longer time. But the program we built later in secret would make six bombs a year. —Khidir Hamza

(Khidir Hamza and Imad Khadduri, Crossfire transcript, CNN, February 7, 2003)
http://zfacts.com/p/291.html

[/ QUOTE ]