Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The two employees, who were clothes sorters, had been working at the Salvation Army for about five years before the Salvation Army decided to enforce their English language rule. One would think the Salvation Army would have a hard time proving that they weren't able to communicate with them if they had already been kept on for five years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_505139.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the Salvation army is right, but it's still ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you think they are wrong? how is it unreasonable to expect a worker to speak the official language of the country in which they live?

[/ QUOTE ]
The USA has no official language.

edit: I am slow
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The two employees, who were clothes sorters, had been working at the Salvation Army for about five years before the Salvation Army decided to enforce their English language rule. One would think the Salvation Army would have a hard time proving that they weren't able to communicate with them if they had already been kept on for five years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you think they are wrong? how is it unreasonable to expect a worker to speak the official language of the country in which they live?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the official language of the US is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that, I don't see how any sane person can honestly disagree that the vast majority of American citizens speak English as a first language, therefore, it is in a businesses best interest to have employees who can communicate in English.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just nit-picking. no, we have no official language, but basically all of our citizens speak english.

edit: are you saying immigrants shouldn't have to learn english b/c it's not the official us language?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that, I don't see how any sane person can honestly disagree that the vast majority of American citizens speak English as a first language, therefore, it is in a businesses best interest to have employees who can communicate in English.

[/ QUOTE ]

"the vast majority of american citizens" don't directly interact with most employees, so I don't see what difference it makes what language they speak.

That said, I don't really have any interest in telling a business owner what criteria he needs or does not need to use in making his hiring decisions. If a guy only wants to hire english speakers, that's fine with me.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 AM

The title of this thread is misleading. There is no english-only policy that I know of (this would mean that spanish is forbidden). Just a policy that empolyees be able to speek english (not at all unreasonable IMO).
Old 11-21-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: are you saying immigrants shouldn't have to learn english b/c it's not the official us language?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imigrants sholud not be required to learn english. Also employers should not have to hire (or continue to employ) those that don't speak english. Everyone should be allowed to do what they want.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"the vast majority of american citizens" don't directly interact with most employees, so I don't see what difference it makes what language they speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're of the opinion that most of the American work force doesn't speak English? funny.

I don't know what it is you do for a living, but most of the rest of Americans are American employees. I don't know about you, but I prefer to be able to communicate with my co-workers freely.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The USA has no official language.

edit: I am slow

[/ QUOTE ]

But English IS the official language of Massachusetts.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imigrants should not be required to learn english. Also employers should not have to hire (or continue to employ) those that don't speak english. Everyone should be allowed to do what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not?

if they shouldn't be required to learn english, they shouldn't expect to be able to function in a country without learning the language spoken by all of its citizens.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're of the opinion that most of the American work force doesn't speak English? funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read again.