blinds: 50/100
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t2500)
MP (t2000)
CO (t3000)
Button (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero ???

Hero has one of three possible hands:
a) A7o
b) KTs
c) 33

BB is one of three types of players
i) A simple player, who will call a 3 BB raise with a lot of decent hands but will only re-raise all-in preflop with premium hands.
ii) A bad player who doesn't seem to understand the difference between raising and calling a raise, and is thus likely to have about the same range for each. He also doesn't really notice how big a raise is before he makes his decision.
iii) A very aggressive player who will call a push with a wider range than most players, and will attempt a re-steal with an even wider range of hands.

To start, let's make it a very simplified game where Hero's only two options are to either raise 3 BB or open-push. Hero also doesn't want a difficult decision when facing a reraise.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Re: SNG mid-game: opening on the small blind 15 BB

I'll get to this tommorrow slim gtg. nice post
Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 AM

Im open pushing all of these vs all players. I think they are all unexploitable, especially given the fact 'hero doesnt want a difficult decision when facing a reraise'
Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 AM

Open shoving all 3 seems easiest, they're unexploitable pushes. I suppose you might be able to make a case for a standard raise versus player 1, since he'll have you crushed when he re-pops and against player 3 because (presumably) he'll re-pop so light that you want to be able to call, but I'm not keen on trying to work out the math now, much less in game.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 AM

These three hands have very different qualities.

Win probability versus ranges varies a lot:

v 5% callers, 33 is 36%, KTs, 31%, A7o, 25%
v 10% callers, 33=37%, KTs=37%, A7o=28%
v 30% callers 33=48% KTs=46%, A7o=46%

I'm not a fan of shoving here when you have such a comfortable stack. Most of the time you pick up the blinds, but you probably bust out in 1 in 25 times. A raise to 275 will pick up the blinds most of the time, and if you get repopped you can get away and still have a good stack left to play with. So, if Mr Aggro reraises all-in, it looks like we have the odds for a call, if the other guys repop we should fold.

However, even Mr Aggro's odds are a flip and we should not be flipping for stacks at this point in the trny, so if we want to get his blinds we have to be more aggressive and shove PF against him. If we regularly do this, he will pick up quickly, so perhaps the best option is to mix-up our play here, shove 50%, raise to 275 25% and limp 25%?

PS, noticed the changes Slim, makes it a very different proposition.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:52 AM

Sry missed the 3BB rule, ok 300, not 275.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 AM

Hands do not really change my decision.
Pushing seems always +EV anyway but in game :

I raise 250 against i), call against ii), push against iii) because I have a good hand.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im open pushing all of these vs all players. I think they are all unexploitable, especially given the fact 'hero doesnt want a difficult decision when facing a reraise'

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, agreed, but if were going to be nitty im gonna go with :

meh, shove or raise
raise
shove

slim: i think everyone is simply correlating a) i b) ii etc....just tell us if you meant to go through all the scenarios for each hand, im tired
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM

ai) I make a standard raise to 300 or w/e. He'll call with a fair amount of hands you're ahead of preflop and when he re-shoves you can be pretty sure you're beat.
aii) I think I just shove against this player. He's going to be calling the standard raise too much &amp; I don't really like playing a big pot OOP against him with these stacks, even if I'm usually ahead.
aiii) I push against this player as well. Even if he's calling a push wider than most players it's still +EV &amp; I'm not too thrilled about raising &amp; calling a shove when he re-steals.

bi) I standard raise for the same reasons as the A7 hand
Bii) I shove for same reasons as the KTs hand
biii) I shove for same reasons as KTs hand. I also don't think we can call a re-shove against this player if we standard raise, unless he is an absolute maniac.

ci)I standard raise for the same reasons as the other 2 hands
cii) I shove for the same reasons as the other 2 hands. I also think that completing is probably better than standard raising against this player.
ciii) I shove for the same reasons as the other 2 hands. I also think that completing is probably better than standard raising against this player.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Can't we just do this (or part of it, anyway) as a math problem? Or, am I missing some bigger picture here?

Shoving in all 9 cases is unexploitable. If there's a mathematical case to be made that it's more profitable to play it differently (as before, I think you might be able to make that case for players 1 and 3), can someone just run some postulated numbers and see what would happen?

And, yes, I'm too busy/lazy to do it right now.