Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Noise Machines (Kind of an extension of my sleep post)

[ QUOTE ]
So I really want to get a noise machine. I know nothing helps me sleep better than the sound of rain falling, but I'm curious to see how other noises works, too.

I'm extremely uninterested in "White Noise", which is all that comes up when I check out Ebay with "Noise Machine". Even checking it out on Google, all I get is white noise machines.

My question is...how many people use/have used a machine like this (white noise or otherwise)?

Have you found it useful? Do you listen to different sounds on different nights?

I was thinking about whether or not I could handle listening to beach sounds or jungle sounds, but I think I really just want realistic rain. Maybe even some thunder (the best part of sleeping during rain, imo).

If anyone can give me a good brand that would be great. I can't imagine there's that much difference in "quality"...but then again, I really have no clue.

Thanks, EDF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an old receiver and decent speakers in my bedroom and used to have a single platter CD player (without the ability to play DVDs, mp3 CDs and so on). A CD only player makes it easy to hit a couple buttons and loop a conventional CD such as a Relax With (insert nature sound here) all night.

I'd play it fairly loud; I previously had a sound machine (the kind of thing you buy at Sharper Image) but it wasn't loud enough for me. With the stereo a running stream can sound like it started high in the Sierras and you are camping five feet away. With the sound machine it sounds like a running faucet in another room.

Now I have a DVD/VCR combo player and TV in the bedroom that plays CDs. But a combo player means I got to go through about seventeen steps to get a CD to loop which means lately I just turn on a fan. Meanwhile I'm looking for an old style single tray component sized CD player on the cheap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good actual music for sleeping is almost anything by the Cowboy Junkies. Margo Timmons voice is simply angelic.

~ Rick

PS If you get the "Relax With" CDs (the ones for $3.99 in the link) get them without orchestra overlay which IMO defeats the purpose.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 PM

In college I got addicted to using a standard box fan, usually on 2, when I'm having trouble sleeping I kick it up to 3 and it works great for me, kinda weird.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 AM

My fave noise machine is a loud box fan. If you dont like the wind aim it all the wall
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 AM

Same boat as you. Rain falling definitely helps me sleep, and on top of that I have to sleep with the window open (or i burn to death) and my apartment is next to a highway so the added noise to drown out the cars is rather appreciated.

Anyway after some googling and downloading the track I normally use is a cd by a certain person named Dr Jeffrey Thompson. I'm not quite sure his deal, I don't particularly care. I think he alleges certain sound frequencies or melodies to sync your brainwaves with the desired state. I only listen to "DELTA" which is for relaxation/sleeping. I didn't research too much about it, didn't care, was just after some white noise to sleep to.

I like it. I sleep better with it. It has some white noisey stuff (rain, whatever) and also the occasional weird noises but all is pretty laid back. I'm not going to suggest that his line of bs is true or untrue, I don't really care. It was the first CD i listened to of the ones I nabbed and I didn't care to try another

(I had an ipod and extra speakers, so it was easier to download this than buy a noise machine... i'm all for minimalism, baby)
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 AM

i need noise from a box fan to sleep now.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 AM

I dont get you guys. I moved out from an apartment simply because there was a loud fan noise all the time which prevented me from getting to sleep. I think I have to have it quite. Though I might try one of those nature sound things.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM

I use Marpac's SleepMate / SoundScreen (it's the same unit with two different names). I see their prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine (I think I paid like $30).

It has a fan inside a plastic case that allows you to adjust the volume/pitch of the white noise (by adjusting the amount of air going in/out). It's louder than a typical fan would be, but probably quieter than most of the electronic variety. I bought mine about 4 years ago and it's still running just fine.

jHE